Life expectancy of IDE disk

Old July 5th 03, 12:26 PM
Moonlit

Default Life expectancy of IDE disk

Hi,

I want to use one of my old pc's (pentium pro 200) as a router/internet
server (currently I have a Pentium 133/32MB doing the same thing). However
this one hasn't got any power saving features so it won't turn of the
harddisk after a certain period.

I wonder what is the life expectancy of a regular (maxtor) IDE disk if it is
running 24 hours a day (not much writing or reading though).

Anyone got any experience with this?

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Old July 6th 03, 12:32 AM
bobb

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:01:00 +0200, "Moonlit"
wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, yes I thought about that (or actually buying some outdated hardware
with power savings in a regular shop). I just wondered if I could do it real
cheap :-)

Wait until a constantly running box drives you nuts with its humming
noise, then you'd be throwing gazillions$ to silence it. No to mention
the saving in the electric$ bill, of couse this doesn't apply is you
live at parent's.

-bobb

Old July 6th 03, 02:08 AM
Gareth Church

"Moonlit" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to use one of my old pc's (pentium pro 200) as a router/internet
server (currently I have a Pentium 133/32MB doing the same thing). However
this one hasn't got any power saving features so it won't turn of the
harddisk after a certain period.

I wonder what is the life expectancy of a regular (maxtor) IDE disk if it

is
running 24 hours a day (not much writing or reading though).

Anyone got any experience with this?

Life expectancy of hard disks follows the bath-curve. Drives either suffer
from infant mortality, or they give quite a few years of good service. The
vast majority of drives will last a good 3- 5 years. At the top-end things
can really expand out. It isn't uncommon at all to have 10 year old drives
still running strong in machines that run 24/7.

Gareth

Old July 6th 03, 03:01 AM
Moonlit

Hi,

wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, yes I thought about that (or actually buying some outdated

hardware
with power savings in a regular shop). I just wondered if I could do it

real
cheap :-)

Wait until a constantly running box drives you nuts with its humming
noise, then you'd be throwing gazillions$ to silence it. No to mention

Well I am used to the noise with my current machines :-).

the saving in the electric$ bill, of couse this doesn't apply is you

this is the reason I don't use my old HP9000/380 series as internet server.
But it sure would do well for an 24/7 machine (it has run for may years in a
production environment without flaw). (and makes more noise then 5 PC's
-) ).

live at parent's.

Ha, I am 39 years old, but you are right maybe I should go back to mum and
dad :-)

-bobb

Thanks for your Reply,

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Old July 6th 03, 08:29 AM
Ken

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 04:05:43 +0200, "Moonlit"
wrote:

Ok, so it is just a gamble (like most hardware).
Well the reason I aksed was that my 2 year old P3CE system
stopped working after only two years.

It also depends on the heat in the disks.
Keep your disks under +40°C
http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/download.html

Old July 6th 03, 04:15 PM
Wayne

OK, help me understand this.

I have 2 Maxtor 200 GB IDE 133 drives. Motherboard Moniter 5 is reporting a
temperature of 23 degrees for drive 0 and 42 degrees for drive 1. I would
expect drive 1 to be hotter ... its in a removable bay. but 23 can't be
correct, room temperature is 25.

Old July 6th 03, 07:00 PM
Ken

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 09:15:14 -0600, "Wayne"
wrote:

OK, help me understand this.

I have 2 Maxtor 200 GB IDE 133 drives. Motherboard Moniter 5 is reporting a
temperature of 23 degrees for drive 0 and 42 degrees for drive 1. I would
expect drive 1 to be hotter ... its in a removable bay. but 23 can't be
correct, room temperature is 25.

Something i wrong with the 23° reading.
42° is seems to be normal. Try to get the 42° down.

[Announcement] FlashBoot - a tool to make USB Flash Disks bootable PrimeExpert General 0 February 6th 05 06:58 PM
SATA disk, slow? Tomaz Koritnik General 5 June 6th 04 04:13 AM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
USB Flash Disk Question Roland General 2 September 24th 03 02:44 PM