Geforce 2Ti vs Fx 5200 - any idea ?

Old August 20th 03, 06:42 PM
CéhèS

Default Geforce 2Ti vs Fx 5200 - any idea ?

Hi there, here's the story :

I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
and AGP 4x.

I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)

Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
on...

Any comment ?

Thanks a lot...

Old August 21st 03, 03:24 AM
mike

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:42:22 +0200, "CéhèS" wrote:

Hi there, here's the story :

I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
and AGP 4x.

I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)

Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
on...

Any comment ?

Thanks a lot...

I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.
Old August 21st 03, 04:02 AM
Helion

Keep in mind that the FX5200 is basically a replacement for the MX series
with DX9 capabilities. IE predecessor is the GF4/MX440 and the GF2/MX
before that. If you have a GFx TI now, I would settle for no less than a
GF4/TI 4x00 or FX 5600+ for any noticeable gains.

Old August 21st 03, 09:21 AM
CéhèS

I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.

Tx,

this is a 128, no problem...

My 2Ti is quite less faster than the TI200 then i'll se a difference ! cool
!

What does "marginally" means in english ? a little bit or a lot ?

regards

Old August 21st 03, 09:23 AM
CéhèS

Keep in mind that the FX5200 is basically a replacement for the MX series
with DX9 capabilities. IE predecessor is the GF4/MX440 and the GF2/MX
before that. If you have a GFx TI now, I would settle for no less than a
GF4/TI 4x00 or FX 5600+ for any noticeable gains.

I don't like MX familly :-(

The thing is that a can have it for quite nothing, then this nis worth no ?

Tx a lot.

Old August 21st 03, 07:57 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:42:22 +0200, In this world we created "CéhèS"
wrote :

Hi there, here's the story :

I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
and AGP 4x.

I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed with
my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)

Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
on...

Any comment ?

Thanks a lot...

I'd stick with what you have until the next line of Nvidia cards.
My 0.2
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old August 21st 03, 08:12 PM
Mario Kadastik

CéhèS wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Geforce 2Ti but I bought a FX5200 128Mb
(128-bit DDR and make sure the one you get is 128-bit as well) to
replace my old GeForce3 Ti200, it was marginally faster than the 200.

Tx,

this is a 128, no problem...

My 2Ti is quite less faster than the TI200 then i'll se a difference ! cool
!

What does "marginally" means in english ? a little bit or a lot ?

regards

It means a little bit, but the FX5200 should be a bit faster than
GF3Ti200 and hence should be significantly faster than your GF2Ti.

What you have heard is not all true. The card isn't that bad actually.
it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games, but it's fast enough to
compete with GF4 Ti 4200 in DX8 games (approx the same speed). There
might be games you can't play with your GF2 Ti, but you will be able to
play them with the FX5200.

Mario

Old August 21st 03, 08:59 PM
Martin Eriksson

"CéhèS" wrote in message

Hi there, here's the story :

I have a Geforce 2Ti (high end of its time) on a athlon 1.3Ghz with 384 Mo
and AGP 4x.

I can have a MSI Geforce Fx5200 128 DDR (low end of fx !) to be changed

with
my 2Ti (and no more money ! to long to explain...)

Is this a good idea, i heard so much thing about the fx : not a finished
card, not very powerful, hard to program so game won't use it good, and so
on...

Any comment ?

Thanks a lot...

Did you other guys even read that he has got a GF 2 (TWO!) Ti, which is
about the performance of a "Normal" GF2 Pro. This also means DX7 effects
only. A GF FX5200 will be a significant upgrade to that GF2, and you will
get better 3D quality too (because you can enable stuff like FSAA and AF
which made the GF2 slow to a snails pace).

The FX 5200 is based off the new series of FX cards (not the dustbuster) and
actually runs very nice.

/M

Old August 21st 03, 09:02 PM
mike

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:12:02 +0300, Mario Kadastik
wrote:

CéhèS wrote:

[...]

Not sure what card you have seen but even the 5200 Ultra can't compete
with the 4200... in anything I've seen.
Old August 21st 03, 09:24 PM
CéhèS

It means a little bit, but the FX5200 should be a bit faster than
GF3Ti200 and hence should be significantly faster than your GF2Ti.

What you have heard is not all true. The card isn't that bad actually.
it's not fast enough to play real DX9 games, but it's fast enough to
compete with GF4 Ti 4200 in DX8 games (approx the same speed). There
might be games you can't play with your GF2 Ti, but you will be able
play them with the FX5200.

Mario

Tx for this simple but complete answer.