Problem with Radeon 9600 running slow on Via motherboard

Old September 9th 03, 03:45 AM
Fred

Default Problem with Radeon 9600 running slow on Via motherboard

I recently upgraded my computer to this:

P4PB 400-FL motherboard
simpletech 512MB PC2700 memory
Visiontek Xtasy 9600 128MB AGP
2.4Ghz Intel Celeron

I first put in the Visiontek video card with the old equipment to do a
benchmark. I then put in the new processor, motherboard, hard drive, &
Visiontek card. I installed a clean install of Windows XP on the new
hard drive. When I benchmarked the system with 3DMark2001, my new
configuration runs slower then my old AMD 1300 system (6475 with 2.4
Ghz & 7426 with AMD 1300). The CPU & memory scores are much higher in
PCMark, so the system isn't running slow overall. I've installed the
latest motherboard 4in1 drivers, flashed to the newest BIOS for the
motherboard, tried the Visiontek drivers, ATI's own drivers, the
omegacorner.com drivers (which failed to install). I've checked the
AGP voltage (1.5v). I tried turning off "fast write" in SmartGart. I
can't figure out what has gone wrong.

The Visiontek manual says the card should use IRQ 10 or 11, but I
don't see a way to force the card to use this IRQ in the BIOS, and
Windows XP won't allow me to disable "choose automatic settings" in
Device Manager and change the IRQ manually (I have admin rights). Can
this one IRQ detail be slowing down the video card that much? Has
anyone come across a conflict with this VIA motherboard and Visiontek
9600 (or is running them just fine)? Any other suggestions? Thanks for
any help.

I bought and put together the same processor and CPU for someone else,
and they score higher on 3DMark2001 with their older Radeon 8500 card.
Old September 9th 03, 04:06 AM
ernie samulaitis

what score are you getting? im currently running

a pentium 4 1.7 533fsb
ddr266, 512mb
ati radeon 9500 overclocked to a 9700
intel motherboard

and im only hitting at about 8990. what are you getting on 2001 3d mark

regards

Old September 9th 03, 04:08 AM
Chimera

Fred wrote:
I recently upgraded my computer to this:

P4PB 400-FL motherboard
simpletech 512MB PC2700 memory
Visiontek Xtasy 9600 128MB AGP
2.4Ghz Intel Celeron

bugger! must be some reason. Back to the IRQ thing, usually its not a
problem with plug & pray systems, but occasionally there can be some
nonsense. When building machines, there is a taboo about using the PCI slot
directly below the AGP. Earlier AGP boards used to share system resources
between that PCI slot and the AGP. Not so sure whether this is still an
issue, but I still avoid it. Also, I'd try removing any non-essential parts
from the system and trying, maybe you have a network card or a cheap
soundcard that is hogging the PCI bus.

Old September 9th 03, 05:07 AM
Fred

On 3DMark2001 I scored 7426 with the AMD 1300 and scored 6475 (about
1000 less!) with the Intel 2.4 Ghz Celeron. My system is running
noticably faster with non-video related stuff (compression and
database stuff). My main concern was having video benchmarks dropping
so much, while everything else is faster.

Old September 9th 03, 05:10 AM
Fred

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:08:25 GMT, "Chimera" wrote:

Fred wrote:
I recently upgraded my computer to this:

P4PB 400-FL motherboard
simpletech 512MB PC2700 memory
Visiontek Xtasy 9600 128MB AGP
2.4Ghz Intel Celeron

bugger! must be some reason. Back to the IRQ thing, usually its not a
problem with plug & pray systems, but occasionally there can be some
nonsense. When building machines, there is a taboo about using the PCI slot
directly below the AGP. Earlier AGP boards used to share system resources
between that PCI slot and the AGP. Not so sure whether this is still an
issue, but I still avoid it. Also, I'd try removing any non-essential parts
from the system and trying, maybe you have a network card or a cheap
soundcard that is hogging the PCI bus.

The only other card in the computer is a PCI network card on the PCI
slot farthest from the AGP. The sound is on the motherboard. The video
card is using IRQ 16, which is shared with the network card (can't
seem to change IRQs). Benchmarking was done while not doing any
networking, internet, or anything else.
Old September 9th 03, 05:25 AM
Chimera

The only other card in the computer is a PCI network card on the PCI
slot farthest from the AGP. The sound is on the motherboard. The video
card is using IRQ 16, which is shared with the network card (can't
seem to change IRQs). Benchmarking was done while not doing any
networking, internet, or anything else.

2 cards, and plug & pray decides they should share an interrupt!! that
sucks

Old September 9th 03, 05:56 AM
Fred

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:25:50 GMT, "Chimera" wrote:

The only other card in the computer is a PCI network card on the PCI
slot farthest from the AGP. The sound is on the motherboard. The video
card is using IRQ 16, which is shared with the network card (can't
seem to change IRQs). Benchmarking was done while not doing any
networking, internet, or anything else.

2 cards, and plug & pray decides they should share an interrupt!! that
sucks

What's even funnier is that Visiontek says the video card needs to use
either IRQ 10 or 11, and IRQ 11 isn't being used by anthing in my
system!
Old September 9th 03, 06:04 AM
Paradox

"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know this Mobo but there is often an 'Assign IRQ for VGA' setting
that should be enabled. Also, if the Bios has the option 'PNP OS installed'
try turning it off.

Rob

Old September 9th 03, 06:08 AM
Chimera

Fred wrote:
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:25:50 GMT, "Chimera" wrote:

The only other card in the computer is a PCI network card on the PCI
slot farthest from the AGP. The sound is on the motherboard. The video
card is using IRQ 16, which is shared with the network card (can't
seem to change IRQs). Benchmarking was done while not doing any
networking, internet, or anything else.

2 cards, and plug & pray decides they should share an interrupt!! that
sucks

What's even funnier is that Visiontek says the video card needs to use
either IRQ 10 or 11, and IRQ 11 isn't being used by anthing in my
system!

thats plug & pray for you. You'll have to keep playing around with bios &
system settings, but Im sure I managed to manually assign IRQs on an XP box
at one stage

Old September 9th 03, 04:13 PM
JAD

'PNP OS installed' NO