8KNXP Rev.2.0 Northbridge Fan Problem

Old May 8th 04, 02:48 PM
Si

Default 8KNXP Rev.2.0 Northbridge Fan Problem

The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding sound
during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the normal
noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even went
as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months old
and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it back
to the shop?

Cheers.

Si

Old May 9th 04, 10:05 AM
Boudewijn

Hello
Remove the whole fan as I've done. It is not really needed at all.
If you are still worried, replace the heatsink with a passive one from
Zalman which provides better colling than de original fan/heatsink
combination anyway and is quiet!
Good luck,
Boudewijn

Old May 9th 04, 09:14 PM
Si

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go with the suggestion made by
Boudewijn and try one of those Zalman passive heatsinks.

Cheers.

Si

"Dumdedo" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Si" wrote:

The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding

sound
during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the

normal
noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming from
one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even

went
as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of months

old
and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take it

back
to the shop?

Cheers.

Si

I was told by my Dealer that the Fan problems were fixed, as my Last

Gigabyte
MoBo has similar problems, but I did get a replacement fan from the

Agents
here though..

Old May 10th 04, 05:17 AM
Bob Davis

Mine's been "grinding" away during the boot process for months and still
works. I'll let it grind away 'til it quits, then either replace or remove
it. Keep in mind that when installing a third-party passive heatsink you'll
likely need to remove the mobo first. I may decide to remove the fan and
lubricate its bearing, as that sometimes works to quieten them down.

As per another suggestion, I think removing the fan altogether is
acceptable, as other 875i mobos, like Asus, come with no fan. I suspect it
is there only to provide extra cooling in the event of extreme overclocking.

Old May 10th 04, 02:09 PM
Si

Hey Bob,

I'm about to move everything to a new case so I was going to remove the mobo
anyway. I did in fact get a response from Gigabyte today in which they
offered to send me a new fan but they said it might take a while because
stocks are limited. Does that mean they've had a shed load of requests for
new ones? Hmmm.......sounds dodgy to me : )

Cheers.

Si

Old May 10th 04, 11:39 PM
Kris Vorwerk

The Northbridge fan on my 8KNXP rev 1.0 board also seems to grind away
on boot. (My first 8KNXP mobo died a mysterious death after 8 months
-- its fan made the same grinding sound. The RMA replacement's fan
also seems to exhibit the same grinding. I should point out that I do
not believe that the failure of my first board was in any way related
to the Northbridge fan.) I haven't been too concerned about the
grinding sound, as the fan appears to work fine once running. For
now, I've just decided to keep an eye on it, and will contact Gigabyte
if it ever fails.

Regards,
Kris

Old May 11th 04, 12:15 AM
Si

Hey Kris,

That is weird because exactly the same thing happened to me. This is my
second board after the first one just.......well died. Anyway, I've ordered
a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive heatsink to replace that little screaming fan. I
think I'll also get Gigabyte to send me a replacement fan and heatsink just
in case I don't like this new one.

Cheers.

Si

om...

Old May 11th 04, 02:50 PM
Raju

"Si" wrote in message
[...]

my GA7 DXR had the same grinding noise, so i opened my case and checked it
out... found it to be the fan, but as it was still runnin, i left it alone.
few weeks later it stopped grinding, so i thought great something was in teh
bearings and has fallen out so no more grinding... checked it a few days
later, and no movement... ended up replacing it with new heatsink+fan
(coolermaster slc-s41) and not even gonna bother with gettin any help from
gigabyte, still got problems with my Ga7 VRXP randomly rebooting and 0 help
from them!

Old May 13th 04, 11:14 PM
Bob Davis

Someone needs to buy and aftermarket fan and replace the old Gigabyte
grinder, the report back to this forum. Me? Why not. I've thought about
it, but haven't yet since the fan grinds at first, then straighens up and is
silent until restarted. I think it is a standard 40mm fan. Another option
is to lubricate it as I mentioned in an earlier post.

"Si" wrote in message
The Northbridge fan on my mobo has started making a kind of grinding

sound
during the boot process. After windows has loaded it goes back to the

normal
noise it's supposed to make. Initally I thought the noise was coming

from
one of my hard drives as it sounded like when the bearings go and even

went
as far as buying a new one! Anyway, this mobo is only a couple of

months
old
and I was wondering if this is an easy thing to fix or should I take

it
back
to the shop?

Cheers.

Si

Help needed with unidentified problem ^MisterJingo^ General 3 November 23rd 04 06:45 AM
Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
8KNXP Ultra SCSI RAID-0 Hibernate problem Pavel Gigabyte Motherboards 1 January 28th 04 07:44 PM
8knxp Ultra SCSI boot problem Gevorg Gigabyte Motherboards 5 January 21st 04 09:09 AM
8KNXP Northbridge mark7dc Gigabyte Motherboards 2 December 14th 03 12:14 AM