8KNXP F6 RELEASE AND FIREWIRE timeout issue

Old September 22nd 03, 07:31 PM
Brett

Default 8KNXP F6 RELEASE AND FIREWIRE timeout issue

I have narrowed a problem down to f6 release version of the bios and
any ADS Firewire Kit, I have not tried others yet cause I own 3 ADS, I
do know they use the standard OXFORD 911 bridge boards in the kits and
they have the latest bios in them.

ANY THE ISSUE:

Under F6 of the bios at bootup will not see some of my drives that are
connected via firewire either on the front port or either back ports
will not show up under my computer.

I must power down the drives and power them back for them to appear.
After a period of time which varies from 5 minutes to 2 hours the
drives time out so to speak. By that I mean the drive letters show up
under my computer, but they fail to open and windows gives you an
error writing to MFT for each drive. This does not occur under F5
release version, I have had F5 running for days now and no issue with
firewire. F6 should be fixed though, I have some memory issues with F5
so I had to some DDR dims out.

All firewire devices seem happy under F5, but F5 has some issues that
are noted up here already so I hate to stay with it.

If I move these drives back to my old machine a GigaByte 8IXP every
thing functions fine for days, only on the 8KNXP do I have issues. I
have been purchasing GigaByte mainboards for over 8 years and never
had issues with any of them till I got this beast. It seems like it
has great potiental, but I am afraid I am going to read about a 8KNXP
2.0 verion or 1.5 that fixes all the issues before we get all the bugs
worked out.

Any one have any ideas, I have e-mail giga-byte tech support 2 times
in the last month and never gotten a reply so I though I might try up
here.
Old September 22nd 03, 10:17 PM
HardwareTek

I have a similar set up with 4 ADS Firewire drive kits hooked up. I've had
no problems under BIOS F6. I'm running windows XP Professional SP1 on a
8KNXP Ultra. All drives are seen at bootup with no error messages or drive
corruption.

om...

Old September 23rd 03, 02:09 AM
Brett

Weird, I have nothing but trouble with FireWire under F6, Seems rock
solid under F5, I even went out and bought a new kit thinking it was
kit, but once going to F5 the old blue box kits and the new ones all
work great. But I just tested it again and booted in F6 and nothing.

Seems like a timing issue a bit.

Brett

"HardwareTek" wrote in message w.ca...
I have a similar set up with 4 ADS Firewire drive kits hooked up. I've had
no problems under BIOS F6. I'm running windows XP Professional SP1 on a
8KNXP Ultra. All drives are seen at bootup with no error messages or drive
corruption.

om...