A7M266 and XP2000 T-bred: What mods are needed?

Old August 4th 03, 11:53 AM
Keegan

Default A7M266 and XP2000 T-bred: What mods are needed?

Hi,
Does anyone know what mods are needed to be done to the A7M266 in order
for it to take an XP 2000 Thoroughbred A chip?

I've read that upgrading the BIOS to 1008b is needed as well as changing the
S2K Slew rate to 1. Changing the Jumper Settings from 'Jumper Free' to
'Enabled' is also required. Am I missing any steps? I've read something
about a wire mod but am guessing that that is for chips faster than an
XP2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*specs*
A7M266
Athlon XP 2000 Thoroughbred A
512 PC2100 Mushnik
120 GB W.D.
ATI AIW Radeon 9000 Pro
450 watt Allied

Old August 4th 03, 12:44 PM
Keegan

"JK" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:53:54 GMT, "Keegan"
wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone know what mods are needed to be done to the A7M266 in

order
for it to take an XP 2000 Thoroughbred A chip?

I've read that upgrading the BIOS to 1008b is needed as well as changing

the
S2K Slew rate to 1. Changing the Jumper Settings from 'Jumper Free' to
'Enabled' is also required. Am I missing any steps? I've read something
about a wire mod but am guessing that that is for chips faster than an
XP2000.

It should not be any problem with xp2000

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

since it goes 1666 MHz, 12.5x 133, there should not be any problem
either with multiplier. So 'Jumper Free' should work.
Even with bios 1007.

This is good news! I merely have to change the S2K Skew rate to 1 and drop
the chip in? According to that website the A7M266 supports Model 6 XP 2000
chips. The exact number on my chip is AXDA20000DKT3C do you know if this is
a model 6? According to this site it's a TBredA
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/ but it doesn't say anything about it
being a model 6.

The wire mod is probably for some very faster cpu models, although I
do not understand why. It is normally used on nforce2 chipset mobo's
to get the option for a multiplier below 12.5x when the cpu has a much
higher one.

Remapping of multiplier starts with 13x. 13x ~ 5x, and so on ...
That is when jumper mode is preferred.

This is over my head. I am guessing the remapping of multiplier has
something to do with a speedier chip and how the mb handles it?

Old August 4th 03, 01:18 PM
JK

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:44:48 GMT, "Keegan"
wrote:

It should not be any problem with xp2000

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

since it goes 1666 MHz, 12.5x 133, there should not be any problem
either with multiplier. So 'Jumper Free' should work.
Even with bios 1007.

This is good news! I merely have to change the S2K Skew rate to 1 and drop
the chip in? According to that website the A7M266 supports Model 6 XP 2000
chips. The exact number on my chip is AXDA20000DKT3C do you know if this is
a model 6? According to this site it's a TBredA
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/ but it doesn't say anything about it
being a model 6.

Model 6 should be the fsb266 versions. No choice with the xp2000+, but
the xp2600+ is available in also the model 8, fsb 333 version.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24309.pdf

on page 13 it mentions fsb266.

Why don't you buy a new motherboard, nforce2, and a cheap barton 2500+
?
Mine runs 2 GHz at standard voltage with a heavy cooler (zalman
7000A-C for socketA, coolermaster Aero7+)

best regards

John
Old August 4th 03, 07:48 PM
Keegan

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...tech_docs/2430
9.pdf

on page 13 it mentions fsb266.

Well that's too bad, I was hoping my chip would work.

Why don't you buy a new motherboard, nforce2, and a cheap barton 2500+
?

No money :-(

John, thank you for your help I appreciate it!

Old August 5th 03, 09:06 AM
JK

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:48:04 GMT, "Keegan"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Why should it not work. Your motherboard can run a fsb266 cpu.

266 is just 2x133, so motherboard and ram runs fsb133.

best regards

John

Old August 6th 03, 02:58 AM
Keegan

"JK" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:48:04 GMT, "Keegan"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

So you're saying it will work? Ok very cool, I will give it a try this
weekend and let you know if I was successful or not. Thanks again for the
info John!