RIAA And Week a week of no sales

Old July 20th 03, 04:10 AM
Nikoli Yetti

Default RIAA And Week a week of no sales

I like and agree with your post, and I can tell you that the RIAA is making
want to download more.

"Are you Nuts" wrote in message
.. .
First off, I'm not a big downloader of music - I do however buy music

almost
weekly on Tuesdays when the new stuff comes out. I have a collection of
over 900 CD's. I use Kazaa though to try music before I buy. I download

couple of tracks listen to them burnt on a CD for a week or two and if I
like I buy. Also quite often radio stations will start playing music

weeks
before you can buy it, I sometime also download and listen to these songs
until the CD's are available.

Now with all of that out of the way it really ****es me off that the RIAA

is
taking all of the money from the artists and now trying to beat everyone
over the head for downloading music.

I'm proposing that anyone that reads this passes it along if they support

it
and for one week in November (the first week of the Christmas season) no

one
buy a single CD. This would send a huge message to the RIAA to get their
**** together and come up with a pay system that is reasonable and a new
business model to support their profits without including lawyers and
college kids life time savings.

If you support the idea pass this message on, if not thanks for listening.

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Old July 20th 03, 06:23 PM
Guess Who

They're not making you "want" to download more. I hate when people use this
excuse. Just DON'T buy CD's. Tape the songs off the radio if you really
want them. Burn them to your heart's content. There is no law against doing
this. Just don't trade them. I agree with both sides (no, not a cop-out).

On the one hand, many feel it's their right to get music for free and the
same copy of a song is traded among thousands of people, without a penny
going to the record companies. I do not agree with this and the record
companies should take some steps to ensure they remain profitable, but not
by copy-protecting CD's.

But, on the other hand, the record companies did this to themselves through
exorbitant pricing schemes, especially where CD's are concerned. The price
of a CD is no lower than it was some 20 years ago when the technology was
first introduced. They may use the excuse that we're taking the profits way
from the artists, but what it really is doing is taking away profits from
the record companies.

There are really MANY sides to this coin, and I feel that the drastic steps
being taken by the RIAA really are not helping anyone.

Old July 21st 03, 05:41 AM
Rick Pali

"Guess Who" wrote

The price of a CD is no lower than it was some 20 years ago
when the technology was first introduced.

Damn straight the prices are not lower...they're higher. Combine the
increasing prices with a reduction in the amount of material and it's no
wonder they're trying to lay blame eslsewhere. Check out this
article....it's an interesting read:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...age_numbe r=1

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old July 21st 03, 07:28 AM
Nikoli Yetti

Not to mention that I have already bought hundreds of albums on 8track,
vinyl , cassette, CD, soon SACD, DVD-audio. They get our money 5 ways and
still whine.
They can cut file-sharing, but as soon as file-sharing is cut; then CDR
trade sites will spring up overnight.

"Rick Pali" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
"Guess Who" wrote

The price of a CD is no lower than it was some 20 years ago
when the technology was first introduced.

Damn straight the prices are not lower...they're higher. Combine the
increasing prices with a reduction in the amount of material and it's no
wonder they're trying to lay blame eslsewhere. Check out this
article....it's an interesting read:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...cle_id=453&pag
e_number=1

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old July 21st 03, 05:52 PM
Rick Pali

"Nikoli Yetti" wrote

Not to mention that I have already bought hundreds of albums
on 8track, vinyl , cassette, CD, soon SACD, DVD-audio.
They get our money 5 ways and still whine.

In Canada we pay a tarrif on all blank media that can be used for copying
music. I feel that it's a terrible thing and very wrong to charge me for
copying music even when I use the CDRs for data. Still, making the best of
it, I do copy CDs from friends and even from the public library. The tarrif
has been kept pretty quiet, but even more quiet is the fact that since we're
charged the tarrif, we now can legally borrow CDs from others and make
copies for ourselves. Because of that, I've broken the cycle of re-buying
music on CD that I already have on older media. Hell, I copy stuff I didn't
have...it's legal and I *am* paying for it so why not?

All that said, I still don't appreciate being convicted and paying for
something even before I leave the store. It's wrong.

And as far as SACD and DVD-A goes, I just might not make that leap. I'll
need new hardware to just play the discs and I'm not sure I can accept not
being able to copy my own music as I see fit. Of course that is exactly what
the music industry wants...but it's hard to give up once you get used to it.
If I do make the jump, it's going to be long after the high-bit audio
formats cease to be leading edge...

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old July 22nd 03, 02:30 PM
Guess Who

This is where I see it getting fuzzy... I have loads of albums and cassettes
(8 tracks may be floating around somewhere). So if I download a song that I
already have on CD/Album/Cassette/45 etc, why is it considered stealing? I
already purchased a copy of that song.

Somehow, though, I KNOW that record companies and RIAA will get there way
and we'll all be choked to death by the inability to make copies, as not
only will cd's be copy protected, but our computer equipment will also stop
us from making copies of anything of any kind... this is also a big thing
going on now.

After all, this is (at least where I am) the good old US of A, and big
business is running the show, not the government. So, they will get their
way, because so many of us just let it happen.