presario 4764 power supply start up ?

Old November 22nd 03, 03:13 PM
Kevin Falconer

Default presario 4764 power supply start up ?

I was just given a presario 4764 that had been working but then just quit..
no fan, no boot up, nothing. I installed a new power supply and still nothing.
I'm told the power supply will not come on without a signal from the MB. Anyone
know if perhaps a dead battery supply on the MB would prevent the main power
supply from coming on ? I have a hard time believing I got a bad power supply.
I dont want to dump the computer if perhaps a new battery on the MB will fire
up the power supply, thanks in advance for any comments.

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL
Old November 26th 03, 07:52 AM
Brian Friedl

Was this computer working while you had it? It sounds like the
motherboard or CPU has problems. There is a very remote possibility that
it is the battery. However, this signal the SMPS (switch mode power
supply) receives from the MB is really from the SMPS. When you press the
power button on a ATX computer, it requires a working CPU to tell the
SMPS to turn on.

Steps to check:
1. Swap out CPU if possible.
2. Unplug switch from MB and try shorting out the 2 pins on the MB
3. Go get a new computer

Old November 26th 03, 01:06 PM
kony

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:52:21 -0700, Brian Friedl
wrote:

Kevin Falconer wrote:

[...]

It does not require a working CPU tturn on a power supply, in general,
nor memory, battery or other parts installed unless Compaq did
something unusal to the motherboard, which isn't all that unusal for
Compaq.

On the other hand, a CPU or other component that's shorting out could
cause a problem, so any and all questionable parts can be removed from
the motherboard. Considering that this may not even be an ATX power
supply, if it's an AT it can be unplugged from the motherboard
altogether and just plugged into one drive for a power-on attempt, or
if an ATX just ground the PS-On pin in addition to above.

The power supply might be checked to confirm that it's input voltage
switch is set appropriate to the location, but otherwise that system
is better retired for something more modern, standard, and of course,
working.

We might (or might not) be able to help more with a better description
of the system, the motherboard and power supply type, as much detail
about them as possible including the connector type and existance of
external switches. Compaq also sold some systems (don't recall model
numbers) with AT power supplies, having a rocker switch on the back
for the AC input and a switch on the front bezel but the switch on the
front wasn't actually a power switch, was a sleep switch. Those
systems never turned off except by the back switch and I don't think
the user was supposed to turn them off in back, just leave them
running in sleep mode... leave it to Compaq to take perfectly working
standard designs and create a problem.

Dave
Old November 26th 03, 02:30 PM
Sam Goldwasser

A corrupted CMOS may inhibit power on.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Old November 26th 03, 02:46 PM
kony

On 26 Nov 2003 08:30:12 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

A corrupted CMOS may inhibit power on.

It can prevent the system from POSTing, but without a viable BIOS,
even without the EEPROM in the board it should still be able to pull
the PSU power-on pin low, turn on the power supply so at least it's
fan would be spinning and voltage levels obtainable.

The question at this point might be, "Which fan isn't turning?".
Apparently some Compaq systems do use logic for the CPU fan control,
it may not spin but the power supply fan should still be on.

Dave
Old November 26th 03, 06:10 PM
Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

A corrupted CMOS may inhibit power on.

It can prevent the system from POSTing, but without a viable BIOS,
even without the EEPROM in the board it should still be able to pull
the PSU power-on pin low, turn on the power supply so at least it's
fan would be spinning and voltage levels obtainable.

Apparently not. I had a Compaq system which played totally dead and resetting
the CMOS fixed it.

The question at this point might be, "Which fan isn't turning?".
Apparently some Compaq systems do use logic for the CPU fan control,
it may not spin but the power supply fan should still be on.

Nothing, dead as a door stop.

Old November 26th 03, 06:55 PM
kony

wrote:

A corrupted CMOS may inhibit power on.

It can prevent the system from POSTing, but without a viable BIOS,
even without the EEPROM in the board it should still be able to pull
the PSU power-on pin low, turn on the power supply so at least it's
fan would be spinning and voltage levels obtainable.

Apparently not. I had a Compaq system which played totally dead and resetting
the CMOS fixed it.

Hmmm. Leave it to Compaq to "fix" something that isn't broken...
every motherboard I've ever tried will turn on a power supply without
anything, even the EEPROM, plugged into it. Makes sense though, since
they often solder the EEPROM to the PCB.

The question at this point might be, "Which fan isn't turning?".
Apparently some Compaq systems do use logic for the CPU fan control,
it may not spin but the power supply fan should still be on.

Nothing, dead as a door stop.

I'm not entirely clear on which board the original poster had, perhaps
that info would help... possibly I have one here but once it's pulled
from the original case it's hard to tell

Dave
Old November 27th 03, 09:39 PM
Kevin Childers

Yes, but from the sound of it the original poster is referring to a AT,
not ATX board. On those, the fan is wired to the main power circuit and
comes on when the power is turned on at the front of the machine. Later ATX
models had the power managed through the board.

KC

Old November 28th 03, 05:03 AM
Kevin Falconer

1. Swap out CPU if possible.

not possible, soldered in

2. Unplug switch from MB and try shorting out the 2 pins on the MB

which two pins ?

3. Go get a new computer

got one, just trying to get this one going for company to use,
games and such

thanks for the comments....

Kevin

Grinding Power Supply? PawsForThought General 37 October 9th 03 04:33 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
Power Supply on its way out? w_tom General 5 July 31st 03 03:43 PM
Power Supply Gone Bad? John General 4 July 22nd 03 08:42 PM