build film editing system

Old February 8th 04, 09:27 PM
cronish

Default build film editing system

I have swapped components in and out of systems, but never
built/burned one from scratch. I would like to build a non-linear film
editing system, and found this thread archived from Aug. '03:

Check out tastycomputers
(http://tastycomputers.com/bistro_men...omenu_main.htm). I bought
computer from them about 2 months ago with aluminum case, gigabyte
8knxp
motherbord (800mhz front side bus), antec 550watt power, 3ghz pentium
4, a
gig of Mushkin pc3200 ram, ati 9800pro, audigy 2, WinXP pro and 2
Seagate
SATA hard drives. Sounds like what your looking for. The puter kicks
a**
and I'm playing around a lot with audio and video editing and burning
dvds.
Not one problem with it yet, and I got it for about $2600 including
shipping. I looked at Alienware, Dell and Falcon northwest, and they
couldn't build what I wanted for that price. Real personalized
service too.
If you price out the same parts to build the same one on your own, you
might
come in at about $100 less than that, but we're talking about tech
support,
warranties, building, burning in and shipping for that $100 and I got
it 7
days after I ordered it. The thing I like about them is they dont use
any
oem discount parts. Just retail good stuff, like I'd buy to build my
own.

The link to TastyComputers.com is indeed a great source, however I
found that pricing their listed components today yeilds a 2/3 cost of
their retail price per machine, and am wondering:
a) If I buy those components and assemble them myself, will they
indeed be compatible & play nicely together, and;
b) Am I missing something in the "burn" stage, some Yoda-like wisdom
that is required to get all this working together as opposed to just
stitching together the components, attaching the cables, and
installing OS?
I would like to save the $500 to $800 depending on which system I try
to build, but not if my Frankenstein's monster isn't going to be
"puttin on the Ritz."
Thanks for any advice-
cronish

%%% - Remove the obvious to reply by email - %%%
Old February 9th 04, 08:23 AM
Peter Lykkegaard

Dave Navarro wrote:

For "every day" stuff like DVD/CD burning, graphics editing, word
processing, my Athlon system kicks butt over the P4 system. However,
Premiere and After Effects both run considerably faster on the P4
system.

Interesting
I have heard and read that graphical application (games) runs faster on AMD
systems
I have a P4 system myself

Could the software companies be optimizing for specific systems (CPU's)?
A rather fast P4 system is rather expensive

My second tip is hard drives... Get yourself a motherboard or card
that supports RAID striping. The faster your hard drive subsystem,
the more "realtime" you can do the editing.

Some boards offers extended SATA raid system on the PCI bus
Like the ABIT IC7 MAX
But I have heard that you can't get the full potentiel of the raid system
due to limits on the PCI bus

- Peter

Old February 9th 04, 05:23 PM
cronish

Dave Navarro wrote in message ...

A couple of tips...

As much as I love and prefer Athlon's, for hardcore video editing, I
suggest a P4.

My second tip is hard drives... Get yourself a motherboard or card that
supports RAID striping. The faster your hard drive subsystem, the more
"realtime" you can do the editing.

--Dave

Thank you, Dave, I've noticed in reading these archives that you've
been a frequent and helpful poster here; may I ask, then, your opinion
on the main parts of my OP:

a) If I buy those components and assemble them myself, will they
indeed be compatible & play nicely together, and;

b) Am I missing something in the "burn" stage, some Yoda-like wisdom
that is required to get all this working together as opposed to just
stitching together the components, attaching the cables, and
installing OS?

As I mentioned, I can buy and assemble the $2500 system for $1600, but
will it dance?

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks-

Old February 10th 04, 09:02 AM
--= Ö§âmâ ßíñ Këñ0ßí =--

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, Dave Navarro
wrote:

For "every day" stuff like DVD/CD burning, graphics editing, word
processing, my Athlon system kicks butt over the P4 system. However,
Premiere and After Effects both run considerably faster on the P4
system.

As much as I love and prefer Athlon's, for hardcore video editing, I
suggest a P4.

It's the P4's cache and memory bandwidth making a difference, video editing
needs as much as you can get.
Old February 10th 04, 09:11 AM
JAD

Keep in mind that when the Plll XXX's / 512 cache came out they were state o the art home video systems, and everyone was quite
happy, all things relevant to the time of course.