Final hardware check before ordering tomorrow

Old December 11th 03, 10:57 PM
David Kistner

Default Final hardware check before ordering tomorrow

I'm building a new machine for office use. Nothing fancy, just a
reliable machine for office work. Could you look over my parts list
before I actually order the parts in case I've messed up on something
here? Thank you VERY much in advance.

- David Kistner

Kingwin (Black) All Aluminum 10-Bay Mid tower case, with a Large Side
Window. K-11-BK-WM,Retail.

Lite On Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM

SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1 Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, OEM Driver Only

MAXTOR 120GB 7200RPM IDE HARD DRIVE, Model 6Y120L0, OEM DRIVE ONLY

Apacer 256MB DDR PC-2700 - OEM

ABIT nForce2 Ultra 400 Motherboard for Socket A AMD Processors Model
"NF7-S" RETAIL

Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

JATON Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 32MB Retail Box

Aconis True Image 7.0

Old December 12th 03, 12:07 AM
David Kistner

David Kistner wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add that I'm getting two sticks of the Apacer RAM.

Old December 12th 03, 04:52 AM

I can not see why anyone would purchase a MX400 video card. In the
Present day ATI makes the best video cards. Suggest a Radeon 9200
video card. You do not need that large a power supply to run a punky
little video card. Nothing really wrong with that video card but it
is old technology. Try looking at

www.tomshardware.com

Or look at this VGA Comparison Chart.

It is a bit old but it has a similar card to the one you plan on
buying.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...charts-03.html

Here is another one:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic..._guide-12.html

Old December 12th 03, 05:22 AM
Strontium

For what the OP stated, as their intended use of the machine, there is
absolutely nothing wrong with their choice of videro adaptor.

-
stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 12th 03, 12:51 PM
David Kistner

This machine will be used primarily for running Microsoft Office and
that's about it. That's why I really don't want to spend much on a
video card if I don't need to.
- Dave Kistner

Old December 12th 03, 05:50 PM
David Kistner

Thanks for the advice, I did find the 9200 that you recommended for
under $50 at Newegg.com and ordered it. That's pretty comparable
price-wise with the MX400 and your links did show a considerable
performance difference between the two cards. Thanks again.

- Dave Kistner