wireless network adapter drivers

Old June 3rd 09, 11:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default wireless network adapter drivers

Don't do this enough to be good at it; but all the quick install guides
say to put in their software, then plug the adapter in. Windows Zero
Config utility works just fine for me, and is consistent no matter who's
adapter you use.

So against all advice from the manufacturer, can one just insert the
device (WinXP) let the hardware wizard find just the driver on the cd or
from the download if you bought it white box, and let WZC keep doing
it's thing without having to be asked "do you want to use WZC instead of
ours" and end up with 20-100mb of useless crap in your box.

Thanks

Mark
--

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Old June 3rd 09, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , pheasant16
says...

Don't do this enough to be good at it; but all the quick install guides
say to put in their software, then plug the adapter in. Windows Zero
Config utility works just fine for me, and is consistent no matter who's
adapter you use.

So against all advice from the manufacturer, can one just insert the
device (WinXP) let the hardware wizard find just the driver on the cd or
from the download if you bought it white box, and let WZC keep doing
it's thing without having to be asked "do you want to use WZC instead of
ours" and end up with 20-100mb of useless crap in your box.

Yes. Like you, I find that most of these applications are ****e.
There's only one or two worthwhile and even then, only really for a
power user.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old June 3rd 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"pheasant16" wrote in message

Don't do this enough to be good at it; but all the quick install guides
say to put in their software, then plug the adapter in. Windows Zero
Config utility works just fine for me, and is consistent no matter who's
adapter you use.

So against all advice from the manufacturer, can one just insert the
device (WinXP) let the hardware wizard find just the driver on the cd or
from the download if you bought it white box, and let WZC keep doing
it's thing without having to be asked "do you want to use WZC instead of
ours" and end up with 20-100mb of useless crap in your box.

Windows network software worked for me better than that
supplied free with the Belkin Wireless G card (which if useless
seems nearer 2 Mb than 100 Mb.) but then my network required
a gateway to link XP and Win98 PCs to the WWW via wireless.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 4th 09, 11:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

pheasant16 wrote:
Don't do this enough to be good at it; but all the quick install guides
say to put in their software, then plug the adapter in. Windows Zero
Config utility works just fine for me, and is consistent no matter who's
adapter you use.

So against all advice from the manufacturer, can one just insert the
device (WinXP) let the hardware wizard find just the driver on the cd or
from the download if you bought it white box, and let WZC keep doing
it's thing without having to be asked "do you want to use WZC instead of
ours" and end up with 20-100mb of useless crap in your box.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks guys.

Haven't taken that deep a breath since I built a box with a PII 100mhz
chip and actually had to find the correct drivers back in good old win
3.11 then win 95 days.

It worked flawlessly.

Mark