Epson wireless printer - cannot connect [OT, I know]

Old April 12th 09, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Default Epson wireless printer - cannot connect [OT, I know]

Hi guys,

I know there are several groups that are better suited to this post, but
the collective experience here has been valuable to me over the years so
I thought I'd drop a post in here, too. I'm helping someone get their
new Epson TX800FW wireless printer going. It works fine via USB. I can
ping it from Vista. However, even when I set the printer port to point
right at the printer (ip address or name) Vista cannot print to it, and
the network printer search does not find it. Any ideas? I've never
played with one of these beasties before.

TIA,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old April 12th 09, 02:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article 49e1dc9e$0$29900$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, spodosaurus says...
Hi guys,

I know there are several groups that are better suited to this post, but
the collective experience here has been valuable to me over the years so
I thought I'd drop a post in here, too. I'm helping someone get their
new Epson TX800FW wireless printer going. It works fine via USB. I can
ping it from Vista. However, even when I set the printer port to point
right at the printer (ip address or name) Vista cannot print to it, and
the network printer search does not find it. Any ideas? I've never
played with one of these beasties before.

TIA,

Has the printer got the right WPA/WEP key entered for the wireless
access? Unless the printer can access the wifi network, non of the
computers will be able to.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 12th 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
acacia

spodosaurus wrote:
Hi guys,

I know there are several groups that are better suited to this post,
but the collective experience here has been valuable to me over the
years so I thought I'd drop a post in here, too. I'm helping someone
get their new Epson TX800FW wireless printer going. It works fine via
USB. I can ping it from Vista. However, even when I set the printer
port to point right at the printer (ip address or name) Vista cannot
print to it, and the network printer search does not find it. Any
ideas? I've never played with one of these beasties before.

Don't know this specific printer but generally wireless printers need to be
connected to a pc via ethernet (wired cable) for initial setup.
The printer needs to be first configured for connection method (which will
be wireless).
Wireless security settings and method of obtaining ip will have to be set.
Of course the printer will need a wireless access point (wireless router) or
wireless pc card set up as access point to connect to once wireless is
activated and configured.

Old April 12th 09, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Conor wrote:
In article 49e1dc9e$0$29900$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, spodosaurus says...
Hi guys,

I know there are several groups that are better suited to this post, but
the collective experience here has been valuable to me over the years so
I thought I'd drop a post in here, too. I'm helping someone get their
new Epson TX800FW wireless printer going. It works fine via USB. I can
ping it from Vista. However, even when I set the printer port to point
right at the printer (ip address or name) Vista cannot print to it, and
the network printer search does not find it. Any ideas? I've never
played with one of these beasties before.

TIA,

Has the printer got the right WPA/WEP key entered for the wireless
access? Unless the printer can access the wifi network, non of the
computers will be able to.

Yes, otherwise I'd not be able to ping it

Old April 12th 09, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

acacia wrote:
spodosaurus wrote:
[...]

Configuration on this one is done on its own LCD screen and keypad.

It connects to the WAP, hence I can ping it, just can't get it to do the
printer thing