Mystery folder "e8bfcca65cf8e0f3f4" on secondary drive?

Old April 16th 09, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Juarez[_2_]

Default Mystery folder "e8bfcca65cf8e0f3f4" on secondary drive?

"Bob Horvath" wrote in message
Hi guys,
I don't have an SSD, am NOT running Windows 7, and have not
updated to SP3, and I have that folder also. FWIW.

Bob

I have one too and it says in the readme it was created by SP1 for Vista. XP
has a had a few service packs so it from one of those, or a service pack to
..Net or IE. It can be deleted.

Old April 16th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Juarez[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
Microsoft restricting access to files is nothing new. Typically, system
files are never even seen by the average user.

Easy enough to delete even if it has access restrictions. Use Malwarebytes
and go to More Tools panel and use FileAssasin. I just deleted that folder
from a limited user account using FreeCommander with no denied access
restriction though.

Old April 16th 09, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ian D

"TVeblen" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote in message

There is a folder "e8bfcca65cf8e0f3f4" on my secondary hard drive.
The primary drive is an SSD. The weird folder is "access denied"
from the XP SP3 command prompt, but accessible by the Windows 7 beta
CD. It contains an "updspapi.dll" file that appears to be a
Microsoft file, but why so difficult to remove?

I suspect it is related to either the SSD drive or the Windows 7
beta.

Mainly curious, since the drive will be formatted.
Thanks.

I too am looking at the same type of mystery folder. Mine was created on
the root drive- a random 26 character folder. It contains 2 subfolders:
amd64 and i386. Those folders contain dll's.
I *believe* that this folder was created after I uninstalled Intuit's
TurboTax from the system. But it may have been created after I ran the
Intuit "reboot" prog inside QuickBooks. (Every time I uninstall TurboTax,
QB will not start. I run the "reboot" package which repairs the QB
loader - [nice programming Intuit]).
I recall dealing with this before and I just deleted the folder (after
restore point and backup) without any problems. But I'm not doing it until
I've got time to deal with any unexpected PIA.
Have you installed/uninstalled anything recently?

I take it you're running 64 bit Vista or Win 7. Your mystery
folder is probably a leftover from updating the WinSxS
folder in the Windows directory. If you look there you
will probably see similar strange folder names. The WinSxS
folder contains many thousands of subfolders with API files.
As a matter of interest, my Vista Ultimate 64 WinSxS folder
contains 58,398 files in 48,560 sub-directories for a total of
14.1GB. A 64 bit OS has about twice the files of a 32 bit
OS because it has complete sets for x64 (amd64), and x86
(i386).

Old April 16th 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nobody >[_2_]

Default Malwarebytes has a "FileAssasin" for locked files deletion !

Juarez wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
Microsoft restricting access to files is nothing new. Typically, system
files are never even seen by the average user.

Easy enough to delete even if it has access restrictions. Use
Malwarebytes and go to More Tools panel and use FileAssasin. I just
deleted that folder from a limited user account using FreeCommander with
no denied access restriction though.

Thanks for telling us about that "FileAssasin" function of MBAM!

I've been using Malwarebytes (free) for over 3 years and didn't know it
had that tool. I'd never gone into the "More Tools" tab before...
bad me for not looking around just to see "what's there".

I changed to subject line so that this post would stick out better in
searches. If that's how you found this post, the URL is

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

AFAIAC, Malwarebytes is on of the best "nastyfinders" out there, even
the free version.

Old April 16th 09, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Juarez" wrote:
"Bob Horvath" wrote

I don't have an SSD, am NOT running Windows 7, and have not
updated to SP3, and I have that folder also. FWIW.

I have one too... It can be deleted.

Yours... Mine was not something you could just delete. I could not
even access the contents of "e8bfcca65cf8e0f3f4" from within
Windows. If it could have been easily deleted, I would have not
mentioned it. Junk folders are not uncommon.
Old April 16th 09, 08:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

John Doe wrote:
"Juarez" wrote:
"Bob Horvath" wrote

I don't have an SSD, am NOT running Windows 7, and have not
updated to SP3, and I have that folder also. FWIW.

I have one too... It can be deleted.

Yours... Mine was not something you could just delete. I could not
even access the contents of "e8bfcca65cf8e0f3f4" from within
Windows. If it could have been easily deleted, I would have not
mentioned it. Junk folders are not uncommon.

Google for "unlocker", I am using it for the
last two years, whenever something does not
want to open/edit/delete.
It gets added to the right-click menu, and it tells
you who the locking software is, and offers to
unlock the item/directory tree.
Old April 16th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_2_]

"Juarez" wrote:

Easy enough to delete even if it has access restrictions. Use Malwarebytes
and go to More Tools panel and use FileAssasin. I just deleted that folder
from a limited user account using FreeCommander with no denied access
restriction though.

You can also just boot Windows into SafeMode to delete the folder.

Jon

Old April 16th 09, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , TVeblen says...

Since when did Windows ever try and stop you from deleting important system
files! (other than the usual limp warning: "Do you REALLY want to **** up
your life?" YES - NO)

Forever.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 18th 09, 07:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Juarez[_2_]

"nobody " wrote in message
news
Thanks for telling us about that "FileAssasin" function of MBAM!

OK, here's another good tip for when you want to see what's inside folders
that Explorer claims you are denied access to. Use FreeCommander in admin
mode and you can access anything from any account. FreeCommander is a more
powerful Explorer alternative. Doesn't replace Explorer and the two can be
used side by side.

http://www.freecommander.com/

Old April 18th 09, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Juarez[_2_]

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
You can also just boot Windows into SafeMode to delete the folder.

Jon

Usually, yes. Sometimes even safemode won't let you delete a locked file
though. There is another prog called MoveOnBoot that will do the same thing
as FileAassin too.