GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th 03, 10:58 PM
John Ward

Default GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA?

I have two Seagate 160GB SATA HDDs in RAID-0 config on the same board.
First drive is mapped to SATA Port 0 and the second one is mapped to SATA
Port 1 (that's on the ICH5R Intel Chipset, not the Silicon Chipset). I'm
not in the BIOS right now but there is an option to I believe under
something like "SCSI Boot Order" to set to boot from the ICH5R. I have the
Silicon Chipset disabled as I'm not using it. I had to install the RAID
driver from floppy during XP installation (hit F6 when prompted to install
SCSI drivers). Since then I have upgraded the RAID driver and the BIOS to
version F6, in that order (as per instructions on Gigabyte's website).

I know this isn't quite the same setup as your's, but hopefully something
here will click and help you with your setup. Also see the newsgroup
articles with the subject of "8KNXP w SATA for boot and SATA- Raid" which
you can find in this newsgroup.

Hope this helps!

--
John Ward
www.CompletePhoneService.com

"Orhan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD and GA-8KNXP motherboard. I configured
SATA Port0 as IDE Pri. Master in BIOS, because I couldn't install XP
when remapped this to SATA0 (XP installer can't find my HDD).
How can I use my HDD as a SATA drive and not as PATA (DMA100)-without
crashing my system- ? I run a dual boot system (98SE+XP) and it works
fine except that SATA problem.
There is no SATA option available under Boot Order in BIOS (anyhow
disappeared!)
I am not sure,which connector did I connect my SATA drive to. But I
think, to SATA0-SB. Is there any difference?
Gigabyte Technical Support says I should upgrade my F5 BIOS to F6.
Would that be a solution for me? In User's Manual of GA-8KNXP I read
that this port must be remapped to SATA0 when running XP or later OS
only. What if dual booting? And why didn't XP find my SATA HDD?
What is the right setting for BIOS?
I would be grateful for any helps.

Orhan