Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE 2800 oc v 2600 oc?

Old September 14th 12, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
srt

Default Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE 2800 oc v 2600 oc?

Hi,
I have been contemplating a new build with this board for a while now
(money issues!)
I see that some sites are offering a version with 2800 oc capability and
some the 2600 oc. I am not sure if that's the only difference.
The Asus website cites the 2800 oc model so I guess that's the latest
but the thing is there are some price differences in which the 2600 oc
version is a tad cheaper but then I see some that still ask full price
for it!
So what would be the better buy - a cheaper 2006 oc or just try and
source the best price for the 2800 oc?
Thanks.
Stuart.
Old September 15th 12, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

srt wrote:

Wow that's a lot of information there
Hopefully I can digest some of it and use it to good purpose.
You certainly go the extra mile in advice etc.
I think the outcome for me will be that I do buy one of these boards and
it will prly be the 2800 oc version as that seems the latest but that
memory is going to be a little older before I can afford it
At least I started my new build plan by ordering a new case today and I
do have my new gtx 680 graphics card and ssd to use along side )
Somehow I think the remaining items will be a little longer in coming
though.
Thank you for all your time.
Regards.
Stuart.

DDR4 will be here some day. And at that point, the DDR3 2800 kits will
disappear, never to be seen again. I would expect a "peak" of availability
for top-end memory kits, after which the companies stop making them,
and only the less desirable stuff is left. So the price may be $600 today,
but instead of a price drop, they may simply disappear instead.

To give an example of what I was referring to earlier:

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/mo...l_lang=english

"Unfortunately, due to memory controller limitations, which regular users
are also very likely to encounter, both our platforms cannot support stable
memory operation at frequency in excess of 1250MHz or DDR3-2500 so no testing
above that will be done."

That's a function of either the individual processor they used, or of the
copper track layout of the motherboard.

In the voltage plot on that page, the memory is pushed to 1.75V. Which is
fine for the memory chips, but the processor might not like that. You'd need
to check the xtremeforums to see whether operation that high is safe or
not (as a long term setting). The Intel spec is 1.65V max, but the enthusiasts
will know whether more is safe or not.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/mo...QC/results.PNG

In this article, you can see they selected a profile, and the memory
multiplier was set to "28". That would be 28 * BCLK, where BCLK is 100MHz.
Another article I was looking at, the system wouldn't POST when "28" was
selected. The other profile has a multiplier of "26.67", and you could
select that, if the "28" one didn't POST. Other than that, you'd manually
adjust the settings yourself (i.e. non-XMP).

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1918/3/

They ran a few benchmarks, and the only one of interest in the group,
might be this one.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r.../1918/x264.jpg

At DDR3-1600 CAS9, first pass x264 encoding is 167.7 frames per second.
At DDR3-2800 CAS11, first pass x264 encoding is 175.09 frames per second.

That's an improvement of 1.044x , for $600. So if the job would take
2 hours normally, it would take 2 hours * 167.7/175.09 on the first pass,
or 1 hour 54 minutes 56 seconds. A savings of about 5 minutes. The second
pass shows hardly any speed improvement at all.

You would also have to consider, whether a processor with more cores,
would complete that computation faster. And whether $600 would be
enough to buy such a processor. For example, a 3930K processor
is $570 and has six cores.

Paul