dell 2400 - lost video

Old January 1st 05, 01:24 AM
David Rothman

Default dell 2400 - lost video

i wanted to add an ati radeon 9200se card and didn't realize that i needed
to update the drivers before putting in the card.

so i installed the card and (obviously) nothing worked.

realizing my error, i pulled the card and replugged the monitor into the
integrated port...

the machine booted...i could see the Windows XP Logo...

but it then sits at a black screen with a visible cursor.

i'm befuddled...any ideas how i can make the machine operable so that i can
then install the 9200se properly? i've can go the BIOS, but i didn't see
anything out of order. i also tried safe mode, but that didn't get me a
usable screen either...thanks

Old January 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Ted Zieglar

You can't update the driver before you install the card: the driver won't
install if the card isn't in your system. First install the card, then
update the driver.

If you installed the card and "nothing worked" it's because you didn't
install the card properly.

Use the 'last known good' startup to get yourself going again. Then, follow
ATI's (and Dell's) installation instructions exactly. Remember to firmly
seat the card in the slot and don't bend those copper contacts!

I can't tell you how many times I almost killed my computer by installing
things incorrectly. To this day, Dell technicians laugh when my name is
mentioned. But eventually I mastered it, and so will you.

"How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
feature in Windows XP"

Ted Zieglar

Old January 1st 05, 01:57 AM
JJO

Try the following steps which are a repost from the Dell Forum......

Insert the new video card in a PCI slot
* Connect the monitor to the added video card
* Restart the computer
* At the first beep (older systems) or on the blue Dell screen (new
systems), tap the F8 key (do not hold it down)
* At some point, the Advanced Options menu will appear
* Scroll to and select Safe Mode [press the Enter key]
* At the operating system listing [press the Enter key]
* Windows will start in Safe Mode. Close any boxes that may open, just get
to the desktop
* Press the Windows + Pause/Break keys
* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
* Open Display Adapters
* Right click the Intel listing
* Click Disable
* Click Apply or Ok. Just close all the boxes
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer-
Restart
* The added video card will be found and it will ask for drivers

Now I believe that you also have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

Regards,
John O.

Old January 1st 05, 03:13 PM
hoops

thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get to
the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just goes
to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i can't do
anything.

i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but once
past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've tried VGA
mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.

Old January 1st 05, 03:15 PM
hoops

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
You can't update the driver before you install the card: the driver won't
install if the card isn't in your system. First install the card, then
update the driver.

tha ATI driver specifically states to install the drivers BEFORE you put the
card into the machine. even so...i have gone back to the base config (i've
removed the ATI card) and can't get to any point where i can do anything.

Old January 1st 05, 03:42 PM
S.Lewis

"hoops" wrote in message
thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get to
the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just goes
to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i can't
do anything.

i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but once
past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've tried
VGA mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.

Go into BIOS (with the card out of the machine) and default the settings
(ALT+F), and then clear the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then press
ALT+E. You should hear the system beep at ALT+E).

ESC and enter "saving all changes".

Sounds like the machine is a bit whigged out trying to determine which
adapter/resolution is actually there....

Good luck,

Stew

Old January 1st 05, 04:02 PM
hoops

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"hoops" wrote in message
thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get
to the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just
goes to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i
can't do anything.

i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but
once past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've
tried VGA mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.

Go into BIOS (with the card out of the machine) and default the settings
(ALT+F), and then clear the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then
press ALT+E. You should hear the system beep at ALT+E).

ESC and enter "saving all changes".

Sounds like the machine is a bit whigged out trying to determine which
adapter/resolution is actually there....

Good luck,

Stew

hmmm...when i try that, i do get a beep at both the ALT-F and the ALT-E, and
when it boots, it does do 'something' ("performing automatic IDE
configuration"...)

but then it goes right to windows XP screen...and then a blank screen
again...

damn! but thanks for the idea...

Old January 1st 05, 05:03 PM
David Rothman

i did...nothing...

i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the only
difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....

now i'm officially at wit's end.

"WSZsr" wrote in message
om...
Try "last known good configuration"

"hoops" wrote in message
news

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

Old January 1st 05, 06:26 PM
S.Lewis

"David Rothman" wrote in message
i did...nothing...

i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the only
difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....

now i'm officially at wit's end.

At this point, I'm guessing file corruption is preventing the machine from
grabbing the proper resolution and reaching the desktop. I'd also guess
that a repair or reinstall is likely.

Any chance you have an extra hard disk around anywhere? I'd sure want to
back up any files.....

Dang.

Stew