GA-7IXE4 - PCI Simple Communications Controller Problem

Old October 19th 03, 08:43 PM

Default GA-7IXE4 - PCI Simple Communications Controller Problem

I have the GA-7IXE4 m/b and , after upgrading from W2K Pro to XP Pro ,
I am getting a yellow Error Question Mark in Device Manager against
"Other Devices Simple Communications Controller "

When clicked this states that no drivers for this device are installed
- the location for this is given as :-

PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 0, device 8, function 0)

The only CD I have which I think may be of relevance here is the
original CD which I got when I bought this m/b some 2 years ago - this
is the " 3rd Party Chipset Series Mainboard Utility CD ( V.1.6)

Inserting this CD does not , however , get rid of the Yello Question
mark.

Can anyone help with advice here , please ?

B.N.
To reply remove "admiral_"
Old October 20th 03, 07:58 AM
Alien Zord

wrote in message
I have the GA-7IXE4 m/b and , after upgrading from W2K Pro to XP Pro ,
I am getting a yellow Error Question Mark in Device Manager against
"Other Devices Simple Communications Controller "

When clicked this states that no drivers for this device are installed
- the location for this is given as :-

PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 0, device 8, function 0)

The only CD I have which I think may be of relevance here is the
original CD which I got when I bought this m/b some 2 years ago - this
is the " 3rd Party Chipset Series Mainboard Utility CD ( V.1.6)

Inserting this CD does not , however , get rid of the Yello Question
mark.

That's most likely a PCI modem. Have a look at the markings of its main
chip, its could be a Rockwell RS56, RH56, Conexant CX1xxx, Ambient or Intel
Ambient, Motorola or such like. Use Google to find a driver, if you can't
the post the model no. here.

Old October 20th 03, 09:46 AM

That's most likely a PCI modem. Have a look at the markings of its main
chip, its could be a Rockwell RS56, RH56, Conexant CX1xxx, Ambient or Intel
Ambient, Motorola or such like. Use Google to find a driver, if you can't
the post the model no. here.

Thanks for the reply - now that you mention a modem I notice that
there are no modems listed in DM !

I should explain here that , previous to the upgrade to XP , I changed
from a dialup modem to an external Broadband connection which is
working OK. So far I haven't got around to removing the old dialup
modem from the PC - when I do I suppose that will remove the yellow
question mark.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

B.N.
To reply remove "admiral_"
Old October 20th 03, 11:07 AM
Alien Zord

wrote in message

That's most likely a PCI modem. Have a look at the markings of its main
chip, its could be a Rockwell RS56, RH56, Conexant CX1xxx, Ambient or

Intel
Ambient, Motorola or such like. Use Google to find a driver, if you can't
the post the model no. here.

Thanks for the reply - now that you mention a modem I notice that
there are no modems listed in DM !

I should explain here that , previous to the upgrade to XP , I changed
from a dialup modem to an external Broadband connection which is
working OK. So far I haven't got around to removing the old dialup
modem from the PC - when I do I suppose that will remove the yellow
question mark.

When we got broadband at home I decided to leave the analogue modems in our
PCs for backup purposes just in case the BB fails. They are also useful for
sending faxes.