n650sli speed of second pci-e slot?

Old August 9th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
a. nonymous

Default n650sli speed of second pci-e slot?

howdy,

i've got a n650sli mobo. anyone know the speed of the second pci-e
slot? i was wondering about using my one vid card in it to open
airflow around the chipset cooler. (vid card is a 2900xt 1gb)
Old August 9th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
peter

right out of the manual....page 11 note 2....in SLI mode the 2 PCI-e slots
can run at up to x8 ...in normal mode only the 1st PCI-E slot is available
(!!!!) and it can runat up to x16

That NB heatsink getting too hot?? Mine was running at 64C when I OC'd it
jumped to 72c.
I solved my problem by installing an Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System
Cooler(FAN) 3 speed 2000/3000 RPM 23-33dba 15-22cfm...$17.00 Can.
I screwed it to one of the mobo standoff connectors and with its flexible
arm pointed it at the NB sink pushing the air out towards the back exhaust
fan.
Temp dropped down to 52c ...60c under load....like Orthos for 4 hours.
here is a pic
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75018
Zalman makes one as well ...but harder to find
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...p?idx=15&code=

hope this helps

peter

Old August 9th 07, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

a. nonymous wrote:
howdy,

i've got a n650sli mobo. anyone know the speed of the second pci-e
slot? i was wondering about using my one vid card in it to open
airflow around the chipset cooler. (vid card is a 2900xt 1gb)

On PDF page 8, there is a block diagram. The modes are x16 or x8 / x8.
You change modes by pulling and flipping the paddle card. When in the
secondary slot, the card will be getting x8. I might be slower by 5% to
10%, and the percentage varies according to benchmark (or game being used).
Some games use more bandwidth than others.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...0sli_ds4_e.pdf

Paul
Old August 9th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
peter

Did I mis understand the note2 on page 11??
I took that to mean that with one video card you need to use slot 1 ...slot
2 would not work with only one video card..its for SLI mode only.
I have that MOBO but do not feel like trying it right now...I am tired..it
was a tough day..whine...whine.....heheh
peter

Old August 9th 07, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

"Paul" wrote in message ...
a. nonymous wrote:
howdy,

i've got a n650sli mobo. anyone know the speed of the second pci-e
slot? i was wondering about using my one vid card in it to open
airflow around the chipset cooler. (vid card is a 2900xt 1gb)

On PDF page 8, there is a block diagram. The modes are x16 or x8 / x8.
You change modes by pulling and flipping the paddle card. When in the
secondary slot, the card will be getting x8. I might be slower by 5% to
10%, and the percentage varies according to benchmark (or game being
used).
Some games use more bandwidth than others.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...0sli_ds4_e.pdf

Paul

Some motherboards that do SLI, arrange the two modes to be x16/x1 and x8/x8.
In that case, the secondary slot always works. But to do that, there has to be
enough "left over" x1 lanes, to set up that routing. The Northbridges where
that was done, had 20 or 21 lanes total to work with.

When I looked at the Nvidia page for the 600 series, I think the C55 has a total
of 18 PCI Express lanes, so you could do x16,x1,x1 or x8,x8,x1,x1. And that
means the Gigabyte manual page is probably correct as it stands. With the paddle
card in its two usable positions, the slots can be:

------ Primary slot = x16
------ Secondary slot = None

or

------ Primary slot = x8
------ Secondary slot = x8

(Third column from the left is 650i SLI)
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600i_tech_specs.html

Some block diagrams for reference. With the Hypertransport bus on the
bottom, that makes it easy for a chip company to mix and match things,
to make different product offerings. For example, the 680i LT shown
here, uses a Southbridge that has its own collection of PCI Express
lanes, and that is how they end up with two true x16 slots in that case.
No need for a paddle card with the 680i LT block diagram.

650i
http://img.clubic.com/photo/00468803.jpg

680i LT
http://img.clubic.com/photo/00475755.jpg

The main advantage of the 650i, would be the ability to make a lower
priced motherboard. Even with x8/x8, the board would still be good.
x8 is roughly the same as AGP 8X (2GB/sec versus 2.133GB/sec).

Paul