More USB questions

Old June 28th 03, 03:41 AM
Ben Fullerton

Default More USB questions

My USB education is progressing, but slowly.

After getting error messages on the installation of a new 5 port Mercury
USB2 card, I found (noticed) the PnP/PCI Device Listings in the BIOS boot
screens.

I was surprised to find that some of the IRQ numbers are the same for more
then one device. ???

The motherboard USB lists as:
Bus #, Device #, Function #, Vendor, Device ID, IRQ
0, 7, 2, 8086, 7112 IRQ 11
BEFORE I moved the Mercury card from PCI slot 4 to PCI slot 1, the first
of 3 "Serial Bus Controller" had;
0, 9, 0, 1106, 3038, IRQ 11 (** same IRQ as the first USB). Next USB
0, 9, 1, 1106, 3038, IRQ 10 and the next
0, 9, 2, 1106, 3104, IRQ 5

Then the "Network Controller" has the numbers
0, 13, 0, 10EC, 8139, IRQ 9 and the ACPI Controller
(no other numbers) also IRQ 9.

So, 2 IRQ 11 and 2 IRQ 9 - and it took me a while to realize that USB
Controllers handle only one or two ports, therefor the need for 3 entries
for the 5 ports on my new card, with the Device # 3104 being for the
single Mercury internal USB port (unused in my system so far).

AFTER moving the Mercury card to PCI slot 1, the numbers changed to

0, 9, 2, 8086, 7112, IRQ 10 (MB USB, only the IRQ changed)
0, 12, 0, 1106, 3038, IRQ 11 (first Mercury pair, I assume)
0, 12, 1, 1106, 3038, IRQ 5 (Second Mercury pair, " " )
0, 12, 2, 1106, 3104, IRQ 9 (Internal port on USB card " "), but also
0, 13, 0, 10EC, 8139, IRQ 10 (Network Controller)
_____________________ IRQ 9 (ACPI Controller)

so first I had the NIC and ACPI sharing IRQ 9 and the MB USB and Merc port
1 sharing IRQ 11

Now I have the MB USB sharing IRQ 10 with the network Controller and
the internal Mercury USB sharing IRQ 9 with ACPI

*IF* this is not the problem that it appears to be (yes, I still have a
lot to learn), then my setup problems must be elsewhere and I need to look
for some other reason for the message that my USB Controllers are not
properly installed. All of the above is before the drivers are loaded, so
that should not be involved. (?)

Suggestions anyone?

Ben Fullerton

Old July 2nd 03, 04:01 AM
Ben Fullerton

scram ) wrote:
:
: A respondent to a previous thread gave a URL for a new driver for the
: Mercury card (Kobian KOB USB2V5) but it wouldn't locate the proper
: download file without a version No. for the card and I can't find that.
: This is a new card and some of the file dates on the CD are less than a
: year old.
:

: Maybe you are new to this, most products you buy have a support page.
: If you would have clicked support at the top of the drivers download page
: that I sent you it would have taken you he
: http://www.kobian.com/support.php

: I would suggest you try each of the solutions in the order listed to solve
: your problem.

: Bill

Thanks Bill,

Everything was going well .... until the insistence on a version number
that I could not find.
I had just come from another website where I had spent half an hour
trying to find information and than another 15 minutes looking for a
"contact us" link that was nowhere to be found.

Some products have much better websites and support pages than others -
from what I have seen so far.

Due to a project deadline, I had to put this problem aside for a few days
and when I got back to it .... the error message had changed to a new
problem with the same card setup.

Time for another visit to the website that you gave me.

And thank you for being so polite about my lack of proper approach to the
problem.

Ben

"Multi gigabytes of memory are not much good when the memory access is
breaking down.
No, not my computer, my brain ... or the remains thereof after many
decades of use."
Ben Fullerton 2003 July 1
Old July 4th 03, 06:10 PM
scram

Everything was going well .... until the insistence on a version number
that I could not find.
I had just come from another website where I had spent half an hour
trying to find information and than another 15 minutes looking for a
"contact us" link that was nowhere to be found.

Fill out the form on this page and send it in:
http://www.kobian.com/su_rf.php

hth
Bill

Old July 5th 03, 02:38 PM
Ben Fullerton

scram ) wrote:

:
: Everything was going well .... until the insistence on a version number
: that I could not find.
: I had just come from another website where I had spent half an hour
: trying to find information and than another 15 minutes looking for a
: "contact us" link that was nowhere to be found.
:

: Fill out the form on this page and send it in:
: http://www.kobian.com/su_rf.php

: hth
: Bill

Ok, will do. and thanks again. :-)