IC7-G RAID problems

Old February 7th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default IC7-G RAID problems

I've read a lot about how to set this mobo up in RAID configuration, and
I've done so on my working Asus machine (which I'm writing this on) so it
isn't like I'm a newbie. It may be a bad mobo, but I'll give this NG a shot
at troubleshooting it.

Machine configuration:
IC7-G mobo with latest (28) BIOS, 2.53 gig P4 (no HT), 2 sticks of Patriot
500 meg memory in dual channel, ATI HDTV Wonder, Matrox Marvel AGP board,
Antec 350W ps, 2-80 gig Seagate SATA drives in RAID, Pioneer DVD-RW, Zalman
CPU cooler, 3 Stealth case fans.

I downloaded the latest version of the Intel RAID driver from their website
and slotted it after hitting F6 while Windows XP is loading for install.
I've
also tried the disk that came with the mobo. Neither allows Windows to
"see" the RAID, although just after POST I get an onscreen message that
RAID0 is there as it should be, and it let me configure the 2 drives when I
did the cntl-I thing during bootup.

I've tried many different permutations of the BIOS settings to no avail.
Currently I have the primary ATA disabled, with the add in device set to
SATA RAID in enhanced mode, and the boot sequence set to floppy, CD-ROM and
hard drive. I've tried enabling "other boot device" and that doesn't work
either.

Originally I tried Windows XP with SP2 slipstreamed. I've also tried
Windows XP with no service pack. Same non-result.

This thing is driving me crazy! If I can't get it to work I'll return the
mobo and buy something else, but I like the features of this one and would
much prefer to get it working. TIA for any help.

Tom S

Old February 24th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Tom S wrote:
[...]

This configuration usually works:

Make sure there are no drives on IDE 1 and only optical drives on IDE 2;
the standard CMOS should read:
IDE 1 Master = None
IDE 1 Slave = None
IDE 2 Master = Optical (i.e, CDRW, DVD, Etc)
IDE 2 Slave = Optical

In advanced Bios set bootable add-in to:
Onchip SATA RAID and select boot order if applicable

In integrated peripherals set onchip settings:
SATA Mode = RAID
SATA RAID ROM = Enabled

This will give the default setting of:
Enhanced Mode
SATA 1 Mode = IDE 3 MASTER
SATA 2 Mode = IDE 4 MASTER

Driver comments:
Intel ICH5R SAT RAID Boot Driver version 3.0 always works for me; have
had problems with earlier and later driver revisions.

Last:
Configure RAID during boot
F6 Driver during fresh install of windows
If upgrading from existing OS, you can setup the RAID from the PATA
drive and then transfer the OS to the new array; setup as above and boot
to RAID.

Hope this helps...

Q re raid on GA-K8N-ultra9 - geforce4 old man Gigabyte Motherboards 3 December 23rd 05 01:14 AM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Need help with SATA RAID 1 failure on A7N8X Delux Cameron Asus Motherboards 10 September 6th 04 11:50 PM
P4P800DLX from non-raid to raid Splitskull Asus Motherboards 2 June 2nd 04 10:51 AM
GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA? John Ward Gigabyte Motherboards 20 October 6th 03 07:42 AM