G8-K8NS Beep Codes -- No Boot!

Old March 4th 05, 02:01 PM
Ed Kemper

Default G8-K8NS Beep Codes -- No Boot!

I just upgraded an old box with a G8-K8NS-939 mobo, Athlon 64 CPU, and 2 512MB
DDR 400 DIMMS. When I power up nothing happens at all except a series of
beeps, apparently continous (I only left it powered up for ten seconds or so).
These are long beeps separated by, say, two seconds. The manual says this is a
DRAM problem for an Award BIOS. I tried using only one stick and still get the
same beep codes. It's hard for me to believe that both sticks are bad (the RAM
is pqi Power Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200).

Any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Old March 4th 05, 07:50 PM
Ian

"Ed Kemper" wrote in message
I just upgraded an old box with a G8-K8NS-939 mobo, Athlon 64 CPU, and 2

512MB
DDR 400 DIMMS. When I power up nothing happens at all except a series of
beeps, apparently continous (I only left it powered up for ten seconds or

so).
These are long beeps separated by, say, two seconds. The manual says this

is a
DRAM problem for an Award BIOS. I tried using only one stick and still get

the
same beep codes. It's hard for me to believe that both sticks are bad (the

RAM
is pqi Power Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200).

Any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Hmmmm! Do you have any older slower RAM you can use to get into the BIOS?
I wonder if the bus speed is wrong.

Old March 5th 05, 09:18 PM
Ed Kemper

I just upgraded an old box with a G8-K8NS-939 mobo, Athlon 64 CPU, and 2

512MB
DDR 400 DIMMS. When I power up nothing happens at all except a series of
beeps, apparently continous (I only left it powered up for ten seconds or

so).
These are long beeps separated by, say, two seconds. The manual says this

is a
DRAM problem for an Award BIOS. I tried using only one stick and still get

the
same beep codes. It's hard for me to believe that both sticks are bad (the

RAM
is pqi Power Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200).

Any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Hmmmm! Do you have any older slower RAM you can use to get into the BIOS?
I wonder if the bus speed is wrong.

I tried two 512MB PC2700 sticks -- same beep code. Tried the PC3200 in my Abit
NF7S board -- worked fine. Called Gigabyte, they said to try some Kingston
memory that was recommended for the K8NS Ultra 939 board -- same beep code.

Some folks that got no beep codes at all were able to flash the bios and get
it to recognize the Athlon 64 939 chip, but if the RAM isn't being recognized
I can't do that, can I?

I'm quite frustrated. I can get an RMA but if the board is this picky why
should I expect another to work (or, more likely, this one with a new serial
number stuck on it).

Old March 7th 05, 06:31 PM
David Wilts

Ed Kemper wrote:

[...]

Odds are it's not the ram - have you tried to reset the bios via jumper?

Also - try removing the motherboard from the case and running it with
just the ram and the video card (as well as the cpu and heatsink). Also
double check that your CPU is set in the socket correctly. Re-seat it
and put your heatsink back on - the PDI is pretty darn good memory and I
hate when MOBO makers say "try one of the three approved sticks of
ram..blah blah blah..."

One more thing is your powersupply ? is it aleast a 400 watt one? the
A64's require more juice. Good luck.

Old March 9th 05, 07:02 AM
Ed Light

12v power plugged in to mb?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Best way to copy HD? Bobby General 6 February 28th 05 07:02 PM
PResario S4000V - one long beep, no boot kgf Compaq Computers 2 September 19th 04 01:12 PM
GA-6VXC7-4X Beep Codes James Purser Gigabyte Motherboards 0 August 3rd 04 12:14 PM
Phoenix Bios Beep Codes Weasel Homebuilt PC's 1 October 9th 03 08:05 PM
beep codes ami bios rochyy Homebuilt PC's 1 July 29th 03 05:09 PM