How to get rid of applications running in memory???

Old December 10th 04, 02:47 PM
Harry Gordon

Default How to get rid of applications running in memory???

Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not load
due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
applications running that the software being installed didn't have enough
room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.

In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really don't
want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.

I have 1GB of memory.

I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking about
but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of trying
to ask the question...

Harry

Old December 10th 04, 02:52 PM
Tom Scales

What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB is
likely hurting, not helping.

Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you done a
Spyware scan?

Tom

Old December 10th 04, 02:53 PM
Harry Gordon

Hi Tom.

Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan. I
don't have the software.

Harry

Old December 10th 04, 03:17 PM
Alan S. Wales

"Harry Gordon"

I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking about
but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of trying
to ask the question...

Here is a comprehensive list of programs that may load on startup and what they
do. You probably will need to write down the ones that are running on your
computer and then look them up in this list one-by-one to determine if you want
them running or not.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.p...nt=50&offset=0

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Old December 10th 04, 03:18 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.

Adaware

Spybot S&D
http://security.kolla.de/

Old December 10th 04, 03:55 PM
Ben Myers

Agree 1000%. Ad-Aware SE & Spybot S&D updated with the latest definitions do a
pretty good job of purging a computer of all the pests. To download, Google for
either title, go to the web site download, then install and run the built-in
updaters.

Afterward, MSCONFIG can show exactly which programs are run at system startup,
and can prevent some of these from running, as well.

Finally, HIJACKTHIS gives an even more complete picture of what runs when the
system starts up, and allows for removal of programs, services, browser
hi-jackers, browser add-ons, and other system elements. Warning: Best to know
very well what you are doing when you use HIJACKTHIS. This means knowing the
exact purpose (good or bad) for each program running before removing it.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 10th 04, 04:12 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

[...]

As far as the legitimate but unknown startup programs you might want to give
Windows Startup Inspector a try. Clean freeware.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/

It identifies most common startup programs and for those not in it's
database it lists the full path to and startup locations for them which can
at least give a clue. Also gives the opportunity to disable their startup.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old December 10th 04, 04:59 PM
Quaoar

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
[...]

Very nifty utility. Thanks.

Old December 10th 04, 06:34 PM
tellme

A great site to help you. Also has urls for you for free software to
get rid of spyware.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/