Does Speedfan work with the K8NS (non-Pro)?

Old October 25th 04, 06:47 AM
Ed Masters

Default Does Speedfan work with the K8NS (non-Pro)?

Hi,

I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).

Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
provide any hint the board supports this.

My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?

Thanks,

Ed
Old October 25th 04, 05:58 PM
Jim Smith

Ed Masters wrote:
[...]

Yes Speedfan works with the Gigabyte GA-K8NS. It controls the CPU fan and
does quieten things down if you take it down to about 20%. However Speedfan
has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
noisy. I suggestion as ability to set the start up percentage but the author
of Speedfan is not too responsive to suggestions.

In the end I bought a simple hardware controller and turned the damn thing
down permanently. Much better.

Old October 25th 04, 08:47 PM
Moritz Kürten

However Speedfan
has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
noisy.

I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.

I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).

SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.

Moritz
Old October 25th 04, 10:59 PM
Jim Smith

Moritz Kürten wrote:
However Speedfan
has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to
100% and noisy.

I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.

I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).

SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.

Moritz

Good to know, maybe the new version will do the job.

Old October 26th 04, 12:55 AM
SteveK

"Ed Masters" wrote in message
om
[...]

here is the general answer - nforce3 chipset seems supported

http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php