NF7-S, v2. can't enable AGP

Old September 17th 05, 07:29 PM
sunslight

Default NF7-S, v2. can't enable AGP

FX5200,5600 & ABIT NF7-S-v2 mobo AGP not enabled

----

I just put together a new AMD system, using my 1st AGP card(s): a Gainward
FX5200, FX5600 in an ABIT NF7-S-v2 mobo, BIOS 11/22/2004 6A61BA1BC-27; 1.2
gig AMD Athlon CPU, OS: Win98SE.
Before, I was using a very old system, ISA cards for video & audio. They
worked find.

I'm having a hard time getting the Gainward nVidia drivers to go, since
being the card manufacture's version of the nVidia drivers, designed for the
cards, they claim to do a better job.

I finally got everything going and it seems to be working at least it's
better than my old system; but that may be because I went from a 233 CPU to
a 1.2 gig processor and 512 megs of RAM.

As far as I can tell the mobo BIOS does not give me an enable/disable AGP
option, only to set the speed.

I have the BIOS set it to look for the AGP slot first, then I set the speed
to 8x, with the fast settings enabled.

I can switch the video through its modes using the Gainward nVidia software.

However, both Everest and Sandra, report that AGP is set for 4x and that it
is Not enabled. Also, they both show the AGP slot as being empty.

I suppose the AGP, if it is running is bridging in to PCI 1?

Any ideas what's going on here? How do I get my AGP enabled, the slot
showing it being used, and the AGP running at 8x?

Thanks

Old September 18th 05, 05:41 AM
Alfred Kaufmann

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:29:28 -0600, "sunslight"
wrote:

[...]

Why not just leave it at auto? That why it will run at the maximum
the video card can handle.

I can switch the video through its modes using the Gainward nVidia software.

However, both Everest and Sandra, report that AGP is set for 4x and that it
is Not enabled. Also, they both show the AGP slot as being empty.

I suppose the AGP, if it is running is bridging in to PCI 1?

Any ideas what's going on here? How do I get my AGP enabled, the slot
showing it being used, and the AGP running at 8x?

Thanks

As far as I know you plug the card in the AGP slot, it runs, therefore
it is enabled. :-)

Can your video card handle 8X? Some of the older cards work at 4x.

Ak

Old September 18th 05, 11:20 AM
Conor

In article , sunslight says...

I'm having a hard time getting the Gainward nVidia drivers to go, since
being the card manufacture's version of the nVidia drivers, designed for the
cards, they claim to do a better job.

Don't use the Gainward ones. Get the latest from nVIDIA.

As far as I can tell the mobo BIOS does not give me an enable/disable AGP
option, only to set the speed.

Correct.

I have the BIOS set it to look for the AGP slot first, then I set the speed
to 8x, with the fast settings enabled.

No need to. Set it to auto. Also DISABLE Fast Sideband Addressing as it
causes more problems.

However, both Everest and Sandra, report that AGP is set for 4x and that it
is Not enabled. Also, they both show the AGP slot as being empty.

Make sure you have installed the motherboard chipset drivers.

I suppose the AGP, if it is running is bridging in to PCI 1?

No.

Any ideas what's going on here? How do I get my AGP enabled, the slot
showing it being used, and the AGP running at 8x?

Do you get any Windows Error messages?

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old September 18th 05, 07:34 PM
sunslight

Thanks,

I wish it were as easy as plugging in the card and having it be
recognized--doesn't work that way, here.

I just cleared my CMOS & reset all as Conor suggested.

I am trying to get rid of the Gainward nVidia, but can only seem to find
down to FX5800 on the nVidia site. I will look some more.

Yes, all the drivers seem to be nVidia.
That's the first thing I did after installing the mobo.
Put in the ABIT Guru CD and ran it.
Then I made certain the driver for the AGP card was at standard VGA (PCI).
Rebooted.
Then went installed the Gainward drivers.

I really don't understand why both Everest & Sandra report my AGP slot as
being "available" and then that the AGP is not enabled.

I'll keep trying to find the nVidia drivers for the card.

If anyone has more ideas, please help.

thanks, Bob
"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , sunslight says...

Old September 18th 05, 07:44 PM
sunslight

one more thing:

where do I look for the nVidia drivers for the FX5200, FX5600.

On the nVidia site, I go to their driver page and the drivers are there but
they are for "Forceware." I assume this is the nVidia make of the cards and
not the generic nVidia drivers that I could use?

Bob
"sunslight" wrote in message
Thanks,

I wish it were as easy as plugging in the card and having it be
recognized--doesn't work that way, here.

I just cleared my CMOS & reset all as Conor suggested.

I am trying to get rid of the Gainward nVidia, but can only seem to find
down to FX5800 on the nVidia site. I will look some more.

Yes, all the drivers seem to be nVidia.
That's the first thing I did after installing the mobo.
Put in the ABIT Guru CD and ran it.
Then I made certain the driver for the AGP card was at standard VGA (PCI).
Rebooted.
Then went installed the Gainward drivers.

I really don't understand why both Everest & Sandra report my AGP slot as
being "available" and then that the AGP is not enabled.

I'll keep trying to find the nVidia drivers for the card.

If anyone has more ideas, please help.

thanks, Bob
"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , sunslight says...

Old September 18th 05, 08:18 PM
sunslight

gee, I hate to keep adding, but I found some more information.

the nvagp.inf in my setup file is set to "1" which means to use AGP.

However, I cannot find nvagp anywhere on my system, except in the setup
file--no driver in the driver section of the System file, in fact, no
reference to nvagp or AGP even in the registry.

Does this help?

"sunslight" wrote in message
[...]

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , sunslight says...

Old September 18th 05, 10:23 PM
Conor

In article , sunslight says...
one more thing:

where do I look for the nVidia drivers for the FX5200, FX5600.

On the nVidia site, I go to their driver page and the drivers are there but
they are for "Forceware." I assume this is the nVidia make of the cards and
not the generic nVidia drivers that I could use?

No...Forceware refers to the name they give the driver suite. That's
the one you want. I have yet to find any brand of nVIDIA card they
won't work with.

--
Conor

Michael Park 1966-2005. World Rallying will miss you. God bless.
Old September 19th 05, 07:01 AM
sunslight

Thanks Conor.

I did that and it seems to be working, in spite of what Everest & Sandra say
about the AGP slot being empty and AGP being disabled.

Putting on the drivers from nVidia, that program reports that the card is an
FX5600, running at 8x on IRQ10.

What still has me stumped is that there is no NVAgp.inf in the Windows OS,
or registry. It is in the setup files and all nVidia drivers are set to "1"
(active). So, how is OS running the card without any .inf to go by? Yet,
now, the drivers on the adapter, as listed in the Device Manager are nVidia?
Win.98 is junk. But at least I believe the card is working.

One other thing--I notice that WMP skips on audio and video. It does it so
badly that I can't play any media file with WMP. For some reason it doesn't
like my nVidia card or chipset.
The skipping happens with both streaming and downloaded/commercial CD media.
But I tried WinAmp & some other video players and they play perfectly. --I
reinstalled WMP, even went from 9, back to 7, but still have the problem.
Any ideas on that or should I start a new thread for it?

Bob
(I hate Win98)

Old September 19th 05, 01:19 PM
Conor

In article , sunslight says...
Thanks Conor.

I did that and it seems to be working, in spite of what Everest & Sandra say
about the AGP slot being empty and AGP being disabled.

Putting on the drivers from nVidia, that program reports that the card is an
FX5600, running at 8x on IRQ10.

What still has me stumped is that there is no NVAgp.inf in the Windows OS,
or registry. It is in the setup files and all nVidia drivers are set to "1"
(active). So, how is OS running the card without any .inf to go by? Yet,
now, the drivers on the adapter, as listed in the Device Manager are nVidia?
Win.98 is junk. But at least I believe the card is working.

The AGP port is being run with the motherboard chipset drivers or a
Windows generic driver - both of which are OK.

enable dma Dan Cdr 6 April 18th 05 07:43 PM
Can not enable TV-out with Radeon 7000 PCI Csquared Ati Videocards 2 February 8th 05 06:14 PM
Can't enable S.M.A.R.T. Clarence Gigabyte Motherboards 2 August 12th 04 02:46 PM
NView desktop manager will not enable - Help. ??? Nvidia Videocards 7 January 26th 04 10:36 PM
Cannot enable my monitor in the ATI Display Settings Cory Burkhardt Ati Videocards 2 July 25th 03 11:36 PM