I can never get the USB headers right

Old January 25th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Edward

Default I can never get the USB headers right

I have a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 rev 2.1

Everytime I throw together a system, the USB headers screw me up.
The Firewire wires don't - they seem to have more consistent labeling.
Not sure why.

But here it goes.
On page 28 of the manual the readout is as follows
Pin no. Definition
1 Power (5v)
2 Power (5v)
3 USB DX-
4 USB Dy- (not a typo - some are upper and lower case)
5 USB DX+
6 USB Dy+
7 GND
8 GND
9 no pin (duh)
10 NC (no connection that I can handle)

on the case the wires are labeled:
The first set
1. VCC red
1. GND black
1. D+ green
1.D- white

second set
2. VCC red
2. GND black
2. D+ green
2. D- white

Heres a picture of hte firewire plug.
http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img02480yv.jpg
Hopefully that works for you.

Old January 25th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Edward wrote:
[...]

First of all, you should redraw the pinout in the manual,
to match the form of the header. Something like this
(I may not get this right):

Power (5v) X X Power (5v)
USB DX- X X USB Dy-
USB DX+ X X USB Dy+
GND X X GND
X No_connect

That will make it a bit easier to see two 1x4 groups.
The case wiring corresponding would be VCC, D-, D+, GND.
The purpose of the X and y lettering, is to show there
are two instances of wiring, per 2x5 header. Two ports
per header. Some motherboards number the instances,
instead of using letters, so you'd have D5-, D5+ on
the left 1x4 and D6-, D6+ on the right 1x4.

Also, to prevent expensive accidents, I recommend
buzzing out the case wiring. Get a pinout diagram on
the web, that shows the signal names when looking into
a connector on the front of the computer case. Using
a multimeter set to ohms, trace the wire that corresponds
to each pin and verify that the text printed on the wires
is correct. I have a couple Antec cases here, where there
are errors (i.e. design errors in every case made, not just
mine). I don't expect there are a lot of wiring errors
out there, but checking the wiring should be part of the
build process, simply because case manufacturers cannot be
trusted. (Another example of wiring dangers, is power
supplies with modular wiring - some modular supplies don't
have keying on the cable assemblies, and some users have
blown stuff when the wires get reversed.)

Paul
Old January 26th 07, 04:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Edward

[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Right...
Um... I don't have a voltmeter.
the headers on the board are standard, can you just tell me the colors
or show me ehich colors go where? This is a pretty high quality case
and I highly doubt it is wired incorrectly.
If it is... Well... risk is part of the game if I want to sit in this
chair! HOO HA!

Old January 26th 07, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Edward wrote:
[...]

The colors they use here, are

red Power (+5V)
white D-
green D+
black GND

http://www.frontx.com/cpx502.html

Those are the colors recommended in this Intel document. PDF page 32 here
shows the use of red, white, green, black.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404070..._guideline.pdf

But I have a wiring assembly next to me, and it doesn't follow that standard,
so you cannot rely on color. If there are separate wires, there may be names
printed on the ends of the wires. And if not, then you'd have to look at
the position of the wire where you have a 2x5 connector, in order to figure
out which one is which.

Also, note in the Intel formfactors document, that the 10th pin is USB_OC#.
That is overcurrent detection. That signal was on the header, at a time when
the front panel USB was supposed to detect overcurrent. That signal would
off. On Asus motherboards, there are green Polyfuses near the 2x5 header.
And when a header has a fuse, then the overcurrent function is not needed.
The 10th pin can then either be No_connect (like yours) or it can be another
GND, suitable for grounding the shield on the USB cable.

Paul
Old January 26th 07, 05:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Edward

http://web.archive.org/web/200404070...rmfactors.org/...

[...]

I got it.

thanks!