"unable to determine CD-Rom drive model"

Old January 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Default "unable to determine CD-Rom drive model"

Got a problem maybe someone could help me out. Got my brothers old Packard
Bell out that went down a while back to see if I could get it running.
Wouldn't boot up.
Figured I'd start clean and use the master cd and diskette.
Put them in it says Starting Windows 95.... Master Restore Diskette Version
8.41.....checking system......searching for cd rom......Unable to determine
CD Rom Drive Model.........A:\ Can't get past this.

Got a Windows 98SE boot disk and tried that. Says Starting Windows 98, then
3 options..... start with CD rom support, without Support, and Help. I
select with support. Then loads drivers and PCI bus scans.... Preparing to
start comp... diagnostics were succesfully loaded to drive D... It then show
Drive E: = Driver MSC001 unit 0 and Drive F: = Driver MSC001 unit 1.....To
get help press enter........A:\ I did an fdisk and format.....ran scandisk
on the HD and said it was fine. With the master CD in, I can look in E: and
see the folders on the master cd. Here is what I see.
APPS
BOOKS
BU
COMMAND
DOSMENU
FLOPPY
PCDR
TOOLS
I was told I would see a folder named Win95 and to select that one and that
would start restore but I don't see that folder. Is there a way to start the
restore from those folders? If so what do I type? Should I put the master
diskette in? Thanks for any help!

Old January 6th 06, 01:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

The restore floppy loads the drivers for the CDROM
Now if the CDROM has been changed it will not have the drivers
And I see that you have 2 Cdroms as you have an E and F drive
with the Windowss 98 boot disk
I also see that you have the Master CD in the E drive

I do not know if one is the original CDROM or if both are replacements
I am assuming you are you floppy 142919-04

In any case try this
If it does not work I can make you a floppy that will work

With the windows 98 floppy and reading the cd under E drive
CD the directory to dosmenu
Type the following at the dosmenu prompt
restore.exe and hit return
or dosrun.exe and hit return

Old January 7th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Hi there,
Before you had posted I had done some more googleing and had tried a few
things. What got it to work was, with the win98se boot floppy and master cd
in, if I remember correctly, I typed E:\DOSMENU\DOSRUN and the E:\DOSMENU
prompt came up. Then I typed \DOSRUN at the prompt then a PB restore menu
came up and selected to start restore but that screen didn't look like the
normal pb screen. It copied the Windows 95 files to the HD and rebooted once
and gave me "invalid drive specification" so not knowing where to go from
there, I put the master floppy in with the master cd still in there and
rebooted. PB restore screen came up as normal from there and went through
the restore with no problem.
To answer your questions, the E; drive is the original that came with the
system the F: is an HP CD writer, and yes the master floppy I used is
142919-04. After the restore the factory installed drive is now Q: which is
what it always has been, I just forgot.

I do have a question if I may, seeing that this is an old version of windows
and has just been restored to what would be "new/updated" status in 1996-97,
what should be done now as far as Windows Updates, IE upgrades, and other
upgrades to get it to run decent as it can. It already has a Netgear
ethernet card and I have that in working order. Every page I go to on the
web it gives me a script error. It already has more memory and ram from way
back before the system went down and I replaced the CMOS battery already.

I just got my other PB with windows 98 up and running so I would need to do
the same for that one.
Thank you for your help!

"metronid" wrote in message
The restore floppy loads the drivers for the CDROM
Now if the CDROM has been changed it will not have the drivers
And I see that you have 2 Cdroms as you have an E and F drive
with the Windowss 98 boot disk
I also see that you have the Master CD in the E drive

I do not know if one is the original CDROM or if both are replacements
I am assuming you are you floppy \DOSRUN

Old January 7th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

www.zdnet.com has many of the updates that used to be available
when Windows 95 was yje new kid on the block.
Under downloads the keyword is Internet explorer

If you could upgrade to Windows 98 somehow
You would be able to used the same link to get the newest
versions of IE which also includes many fixes seen in Windows XP

It is never going to be top of the line
In fact top of the line today is short lived term

If I knew exactly what you had on your computer
I could give further advice

Old January 8th 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Cool. I'll check out the site. I do have another PB that I just got up and
running and it has Win98. I have the restore disk for that one but I don't
think I can use it to upgrade to 98 can I? Yea, it's a dinasour compared to
now. Here are what the 2 systems have on them. Not sure what info you
needed. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!
Windows 95
Packard Bell Model A940-TWR
Pentium 233 Processor
32 mb ram Has 2 sticks though?
CD Rom ATAPI 52x
CD Writer Hewlett Packard 8100
Netgear FA310 TX Ethernet Adapter

Windows 98
Packard Bell Model CPTR 730
M II 266 Processor
64 mb Ram 2 sticks
CD Rom Liteon LTN301
CD Writer Sony CRX140E
Netgear FA311 Ethernet Adapter

Old January 8th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

The information you supplied is great
It looks as though windows 98 will work
Can you use your other master CD
Maybe.

Originally PB used the bios to allow the Master CD to work.
Somewhere down the road the went to the tattoo method.
Windows 98 was the step
Was it all their Windows 98 disks
I do not know

I need you to do a few more things
I need the Msater CD # on each unit
The floppy#
The serial number on each unit

I need you take the Windows 98 Cd and do the following
Under windows search for any files called cab
I am looking for the Windows 98 Cabs

I would like to see a little more memory on the Windows 95 Unit
for an upgrade

If you do have the cabs on the Master CD there is a little trick to
use it as an upgrade CD

Old January 11th 06, 12:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Hi there,
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't see the cab file you mentioned but I did
put recovery disk & diskette from the Win 98 machine and
put it in the Win 95 machine and it let me upgrade to Win 98. Just had to
use the same product key. I was thinking I had tried that before (a good
while back)
and it wouldn't let me but I was able to do it this time. I also found out
the CD Roms in both machines are not the Roms that came with them. Both were
replace
at one point. I restored both computers as they were when they were new but
it had a lot of stuff I'll never use (Kiddo Net, etc) and realized I could
choose the option to install Windows only so I did that to both systems.
There are still a few icons on the desktop that I believe I will never use
( Install Fax, Packard Bell Internet access, etc). Most are located in at
C:\PROGRA~1.... I think I could have opted for the Custom install of
Windows and chose not to install these but there were some selections there
I was unsure of so I just did the regular install. I got IE 6 and did the
Windows updates for both. Seem to be running fine, no more script errors.
The # for the Master CD is 172200-03 and the floppy is BPCS# 142938-04. Any
more tweaking suggestions just lmk.
Thank you!
. ..

Old January 11th 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

I thought you had to use an upgrade Cd to go over top of
Windows 95
Maybe that is not true with the master cd as you have shown

Tweaks
I use a Registry mechanic to keep my system running
properly
I keep pop ups off my system unless It is a must for a particular prompt
I do do not accept any cookies unless I know their origin
first
I do not make my system do things outside of its design

I am currently trying to write a program to kill the new
killer pop up such as 888.com
These conform to whole new set of rules
These guys are getting smart

"ss95chevy" wrote in message
[...]
. ..

Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found brandon General Hardware 5 July 18th 04 11:39 PM
FDISK, HDD #s, don't know how to install two HDDs. sunslight Storage (alternative) 14 October 29th 03 07:56 PM