Rewiring monitor (AOC LM720a) cable - advice needed

Old November 29th 04, 11:57 AM
DEfusion

Default Rewiring monitor (AOC LM720a) cable - advice needed

I have just got my hands on a second hand AOC LM720A Monitor. As far a
I'm aware the only thing it needs is a new 15-pin D-sub Male connector
as the original connector has been removed.

I found this article
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/svga_wiring.html but it is over
years old and applies to a CRT monitor.

I also have the manual - which can be found online here
http://www.aoc-europe.com/monitors_lm720.html and that give
identification of which pins on the 15-pin D-sub are connected to..
but doesn't give a wiring diagram.

I have 3 questions.

1: Is it an easy thing to do - I see in the picture available a
http://www.dukgamers.com/reviews/720a/720a_2.shtml that there appear
to be a fuse behind the plug, is this correct - and if so does anyon
know where I can get one?

2: Is there any harm in doing this - e.g. if I were to wire up the vg
plug correctly & try it is there anything that could cause harm to m
videocard?

3: Does the information in the above wiring article apply to LC
monitors as well?

Also if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram for this monito
that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

-

--
DEfusion
Old November 29th 04, 06:45 PM
Wayne Stallwood

DEfusion wrote:

I have just got my hands on a second hand AOC LM720A Monitor. As far as
I'm aware the only thing it needs iseasier 15-pin D-sub Male connector-

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/svga_wiring.html but it is over 2

http://www.aoc-europe.com/monitors_lm720.html and that gives
identification of which pins on the 15-pin D-sub are connected to...
but doesn't give a wiring diagram.

I have 3 questions.

1: Is it an easy thing to do - I see in the picture available at
http://www.dukgamers.com/reviews/720a/720a_2.shtml that there appears
to be a fuse behind the plug, is this correct - and if so does anyone
know where I can get one?

That is not a fuse, it is a in line ferrite core designed to suppress
interference. It is a passive component that clips around the outside of
the cable (rather than being connected to it) To be honest you can ignore
it in most cases.

2: Is there any harm in doing this - e.g. if I were to wire up the vga
plug correctly & try it is there anything that could cause harm to my
videocard?

It is possible but unlikely. Personally I'd use an old underspec graphics
card of no value to do this.

3: Does the information in the above wiring article apply to LCD
monitors as well?

Yes and no, the wiring is the same for both, but the LCD will not lock and
show a raster image when testing the wiring as described in the article.

What I would do is purchase a vga-vga monitor cable or a monitor extension
cable and rewire the monitor end as this should be a lot easier and your
solder connections will not be subjected to strain and twisting as much
inside the monitor (there is usually strain relief where the cable goes
into the monitor)

If you get really really lucky the cable may use the same colour coding as
the monitors original in which case it is just a matter of replacing the
cable colour for colour inside the monitor. If not the the tips in that
article may help to determine which wire is which.

Also if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram for this monitor
that would be fantastic.

Sorry can't help you there, do you have access to working and complete
examples of the same monitor that you can open up and measure continuity
between the internal cable wiring and the pins on the VGA plug ?

Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM