Computer about to be thrown out of the window

Old February 13th 05, 10:04 PM
Toolman Tim

"ONE" power supply? All ATX power supplies provide a constant voltage to the
mobo when the computer isn't running, although some have a mechanical switch
as well, which obviously will shut even that off. Without power to the
motherboard, the power-on button won't work.

Besides, if he's poking his hands/tools around inside his case, he'd better
have the stupid thing unplugged, and be grounded.

Old February 14th 05, 03:20 AM
Thagor

"Toolman Tim" wrote in
:

> [...]

| and while SP2 took fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on
| fine, it's continued to hang, most often when I'm in My Computer
| and mousing over an icon in Tiles view format. And I didn't get a
| chance to go online before it hung, so I just took out the new
| hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost it
| completely.
|
| This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM,
| new hard drive and new system and application software. The only
| common factors which might have an influence are the PSU,
| motherboard and processor. There are no heat issues going on and
| the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only
| think that there must be something fundamental going on in the
| motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any brillinat
| ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

Good point Toolman. At least he picked a cheap model to learn his lessons
on. Fundamentally speaking of course.

Old February 14th 05, 08:28 PM
kony

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:04:19 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
wrote:

"ONE" power supply? All ATX power supplies provide a constant voltage to the
mobo when the computer isn't running, although some have a mechanical switch
as well, which obviously will shut even that off. Without power to the
motherboard, the power-on button won't work.

Besides, if he's poking his hands/tools around inside his case, he'd better
have the stupid thing unplugged, and be grounded.

Some refer to a supply as the particular voltage rail, not
as the entire physical box of metal. His comment is as
valid as yours is. Even so, unplugging the system is only
useful for clearing CMOS, there are quite a few basics (like
taking voltage readings) that would require system PSU not
only plugged in but whole box full-"on".

Old February 14th 05, 10:24 PM
Toolman Tim

wrote:

"ONE" power supply? All ATX power supplies provide a constant voltage to
the
mobo when the computer isn't running, although some have a mechanical
switch
as well, which obviously will shut even that off. Without power to the
motherboard, the power-on button won't work.

Besides, if he's poking his hands/tools around inside his case, he'd
better
have the stupid thing unplugged, and be grounded.

Some refer to a supply as the particular voltage rail, not
as the entire physical box of metal. His comment is as
valid as yours is. Even so, unplugging the system is only
useful for clearing CMOS, there are quite a few basics (like
taking voltage readings) that would require system PSU not
only plugged in but whole box full-"on".

True. But the discussion at this point was basically only the CMOS clearing.
I have no qualms about running tests with a powered up system, but I don't
recommend it to someone who could possibly be a novice.

Old February 14th 05, 10:49 PM

for some reason my first reply doesn't seem to be showing - so here it
is again.

I was recently (as in withing the last year) using a PC Chips MB with
onboard Video - It was constantly freezing - whether I was surfing the
net - or windows explorer.

I finally was advised to buy a Video Card (which I did - a 32MB PCI
card). I installed the card - and from that point on - till I finally
upgraded to an ASUS MB - I never had the problem occur again.

Old February 15th 05, 12:08 AM
Mark Hobley

Trent SC wrote:

My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se.

Don't throw it out ! I can use it as a Linux machine.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

http://markhobley.yi.org/