Just ordered this setup from Newegg

Old June 22nd 05, 02:52 PM
Bob

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:43:41 GMT, kony wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:13:43 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:46:01 GMT, kony wrote:

You'd already
established yourself as a fool and a shill for Directron.

I am not any shill for Directron. I just happen to like the way they
do business. After, it should not be surprising I would favor my
hometown vendor, especially when it is as good ad Directron.

What's to like? They sell same parts as anybody else.
Certainly there are worse vendors out there, but also plenty
who do as well.

It's not unreasonable to support your local vendor- by
buying your own gear there. This is a public, international
forum where it is inappropriate to constantly refer to a
lone vendor even for a simple part that costs less
elsewhere. NOTE that we all buy hardware, yet we don't
constantly push any particular vendors, even if each of us
has a few we prefer to use.

Who goes on below to pretend he's building systems when he
describes someone else doing that very thing for him.

There is no pretending about it - I build my own systems. I even turn
a screwdriver. I have Directron assemble the main system so that they
can burn it in and test it. That extends my warranty.

This distinction in your mind is not relevant. THEY are
building your system, you merely picked out some of the
parts, perhaps even most- but certainly you did NOT build
it. Building is about more than the screwdriver, that is
the least of it. The very things you wanted Directron to
do- those are the real aspects of building, rather than
receiving a built system even if you have a part or two left
to screw into it's place.

No one is building my systems for me. I build my own systems. I will,
however, ask for and incorporate the advice given by professionals. To
do otherwise is fooling. But that does not mean they build my systems.

You don't realize how a vendor operates do you?
Directron's staff SELLS parts. They're not oriented around
"professional" building, and in fact the odds are extremely
high that the most competent people at Directron, are not
building your system(s), they'd have the underlings do it.

If I wanted a Directron-built system there are any number of them
available for less cost than the ones we recently built.

Cost has nothing to do with who build it.
You may have spec'd out the parts, then Directron built it.

BTW, hot shot - how many patents for the design of innovative
electronic instrumentation do you have? I have two.

This has something to do with the price of tea in China?
This is not a boasting contest, again you try to drift
off-topic. Note that I have not tried to make any claims
about your ability to design (whatever) electronic
instruments.

I'm starting to realize why Newegg's CSRs didn't
satisfy you, apparently you wanted more than to simply buy
the parts and get on with _building_ a system yourself.

You are apparently wrong. In fact you are plain wrong. I wanted them
to identify the parts they were selling and they said it was too much
trouble to go to the warehouse and look at the model numbers. ****
them. Directron has alway complied with such a request when asked.

Most people don't find it difficult to buy from Newegg, in
fact they're among the most popular vendor on the 'net-
moreso than Directron. That fact in itself does't take
anything away from Directron, BUT you don't find me only
linking to Newegg for parts either... though sometimes for
the product pictures merely because they usually have the
best pictures, and several of them compared to one smaller
pic at most vendors.

Perhaps you're not understanding something about Newegg, or
perhaps it was lost in the translation- their Sales
operators are not "down the hall" from the merchandise, they
ship from two main warehouses. If you can't deal with that,
don't buy from them. Nobody said you should, only that most
people don't have this problem and it seems more than a
little likely you were placing expectations on them to do
work for you... instead of YOU doing the legwork, the
research, etc. It is not difficult to determine what Newegg
is selling "most" of the time, with possible exception of
revision numbers for parts- but this is quite typical, most
vendors do not have this info and may not even provide it
accurately if asked.

[snip more bull****]

All your money (for the testing) did is ensure that the
parts weren't dead while in Directron's hands. It doesn't
even ensure against DOA when they reach your hands. This is
yet another area where you have a steep learning curve, and
won't learn it by paying someone then pretending that makes
YOU knowledgeable about (anything in particular except
perhaps the method in which you earned the money to pay
Directron).

I was designing electronics before you were even a dirty look in your
father's eye.

Perhaps this is where you're going wrong Bob, you are
foolishly assuming everyone around you is as "green" at this
as you are. This group is comprised of the young, the old,
the retired professionals as well as those just starting
out. If someone here is looking down on your abilities as
they relate to computers, focus on that.

You seem to have a common delusion, that if you are skilled
in one thing, it automatically makes you good at something
loosely related. This is often not true, and certainly not
with modern computers versus designing electronic
instruments (supposedly) a long time ago.

Do you have a Ph.D, in experimental solid state physics?

Do you have a clue what newsgroup this is?

How many journal articles have you publised? How many instrumentation
designs have you patented? Ever hear of the Review of Scientific
Instruments? How many articles do you have in that prestigeous
journal?

Bob, you're an idiot.
None of this is anything more than your ego getting in the
way of your learning new skills. You might be the best darn
electronic instrument engineer that ever walked the earth,
and until this becomes an electronic instrumentation
newsgroup, it doesn't mean beans.

You are just a bench tech who tries to emulate the behavior of your
boss.

Bob, I'm starting to suspect you've fabricated half of what
you wrote. You are trying SO HARD to stay off topic, but
that only makes you a troll. FOCUS BOB, THIS IS A COMPUTER
HARDWARE NEWSGROUP.

But it does not come off because buried in your pontifications
there is an obvious little boy trying to fake his way in a complex
subject. Not caring about the spelling of words is a sure sign of an
uneducated fake.

Bob, ever consider that I may be your senior?
Ever consider that in a technical newsgroup, if you're wrong
about something, going off topic and running on about how
you're competent at (something unrelated) doesn't win you
any arguments? Hell, even if you're RIGHT about (whatever),
it's still pointless to go on like you have. It is
off-topic and irrelevant how great you think you are at a
different skill.

A large part of learning, is learning from your mistakes.
Surely you had to do that in your profession- now if you
want to be competent at another, you have to repeat that
process again. You won't though, if you keep kidding
yourself that paying someone else to do the work is akin to
YOU doing it.

You have far too much free time on your hands.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
Old June 22nd 05, 04:45 PM
Bob

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:05:10 GMT, kony wrote:

You have far too much free time on your hands.

Bob, did people tell you that when you were on the job
making your electronic instrumentation (whatever)?
Did they suggest you just half-assed do it quickly without a
care for the result?

You are a beginner, an end-user in this industry. If those
of us who put in the time, didn't, then there wouldn't even
be those folks at Directron to build your system FOR you,
let alone the others in the industry.

You have made yourself completely irrelevant.

Don't expect me to read or reply to your posts anymore.

You can troll the newbies.

Old June 22nd 05, 06:58 PM
kony

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:45:30 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

Don't expect me to read or reply to your posts anymore.

OH NO!
It's like the world is coming to an end.
Say it isn't so!

Old June 24th 05, 12:15 AM
J.C. Scott

"Bob" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:51:32 GMT, "J.C. Scott"
wrote:

Assuming it fits, which it should, the only other issue is whether to
wire in the speed control. The tech group at Directron said not to
wire it in, but to let the fan run full speed all the time. It does
add a slight bit of extra noise but it is not excessive.

So I assume you didn't wire it in?

That is correct. It is sitting in my son's extra parts box.

I got the order in today. Thing weighs a ton!