Windows reports Wrong CPU Speed.

Old September 19th 04, 12:17 AM
Johannes H Andersen

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m789cluv12.asp

Mea culpa. I knew this was common practice for laptops, but I had no
idea some desktop machines were packaged this way.

I agree that it is a despicable marketing ploy.

Hehe, apparently, you can now claim anything as long as it is post fixed
with a 'Pro'. Must dash, just have to park my Lamborgini Pro.
Old September 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Tony Hill

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:04:36 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:12:27 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:

FWIW though, AMD is definitely not without fault in this deal as well.
You would *NEVER* see Intel allow this sort of nonsense; they would
fight VERY hard to protect their trademark. AMD, however, seems just
fine about letting PCChips stomp on their trademark while defrauding
customers, all the while continuing to sell chips to the company.
This sort of thing is not likely to be a good business plan for AMD in
the long wrong.

AMD has absolutely no control over this. And there's nothing legally wrong
with what PC Chips does.

The word "Athlon" is a registered trademark of AMD, and PC Chips is
stomping all over that trademark. If called the chip a "PC Chips
SuperCPU 3100A+", there would be very little that AMD could do.
However they aren't, they're calling it an "AMD Athlon Pro 3100A+",
and that is definitely a trademark infringement.

Deceptive I would agree with, but they do list
the CPU's used in their "Pro system" right on their web page. So if you
buy an AMD Pro 3100A+ MB thinking you're getting an AMD XP 3100+ cpu which
isn't even a real number, then you have nothing to blame but your own lack
of research into what you are buying.

True, but AMD must know that a lot of people will be taken in by this
and it will tarnish their reputation, regardless of whether it's
really PC Chips at fault or not. As mentioned above, Intel would
*NEVER* allow such a thing to happen, they protect their trademarks
rather strongly.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 20th 04, 01:52 PM
chrisv

"Mutley" wrote:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor running on a PC Chips M825G MainBoard.

Why don't you cross-post to a few more groups, you idiot?

Old September 23rd 04, 01:24 AM
Overlord

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:35:24 -0500, David Maynard wrote:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor

There is no such thing.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

Because that's what it is.

So there you have it, you have an Athlon XP2200+. (I'm suprised that CPUID
doesn't say "Thoroughbred B" though) The whole "AMD Pro 3100A+" is a
bull**** marketing scam that certain company's in the USA are pulling.

Yeah? And why does everyone just automatically assume it's "certain
companies in the USA"? Looks to me like this is a PCChips 'exclusive' in
a long like of 'Pro' exclusives, like their "BX Pro" (also BXcel and BXToo
and BXPert) that wasn't a BX chipset and the "TX Pro" and "TX Pro II" that
weren't TX chipsets, not to mention the infamous "PC100 Pro" that didn't
support a 100Mhz FSB. "Pro" seems to be the PCChips code word for "we're
lying."

Let us not forget the alltime great PCChips marketing lies
The PCChips faked processor speeds and faked BIOS speed rating;

http://www.computershopper.co.uk/new...y.php?id=23063

The PCChips fake L2 cache (plastic chips that had plastic leads and were hollow
inside);

http://www.redhill.net.au/b-bad.html

For all I know they may have turned around and make a decent product now.
But for a long time they used cheap low end cut rate components and deceptive if not
outright illegal marketing practices. Their boards were famous for being very
quirky and unstable and the mention of a PCChips board would send chills up
a computer tech's spine. Myself I know little about PCChips boards first hand.
However, PCChips motherboards are sold under a variety of other names.
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Just for the record, PCChips is not a 'U.S. company'.

http://www.7bytes.com/sys1s.cgi?035+BBAM102

Those people may be selling it but they warn you about it too.

~misfit~

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]

~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Old September 23rd 04, 02:03 AM
David Maynard

Overlord wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's the 'PC100 Pro' I was referring to.