Is my Athlon XP CPU running too hot?

Old December 3rd 03, 10:50 PM
Bill

Default Is my Athlon XP CPU running too hot?

My Athlon XP 2500+ is running at these temperatures as reported in
BIOS:

CPU: 50C idle, 59C full load
Motherboard : 36C idle, 38C full load
Room Temp: around 25C to 27C I think

Here's my setup:
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (overclocked as 3000+)
186 FSB x 11.5, CPU core raised to 1.86V
AsRock K7VM4 motherboard
One 80mm case fan on back pull air out

I'm thinking about getting a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ to cool it down
somewhat, but if these temperatures is just fine, I'll just keep using
the stock heatsink and fan.

By the way is the temperature reported in BIOS usually accreate as the
actual CPU core temp? or is it somewhat higher or lower than actual
CPU core temp?

I'm also running MBM 5 in WinXP and it report my CPU temp 5C lower
than whats in the BIOS. So how does MBM 5 get this number if the BIOS
is reading 5C higher than it report?

Thanks in advance.
Bill
Old December 3rd 03, 10:58 PM
IC

Bill wrote:
[...]

The CPU temps are high, but the MB temps indicate poor case cooling.
There should be a fan in the front to pull air inside and you already
have the fan on the back pulling air out. A better heatsink/fan would
also help.

Old December 3rd 03, 11:26 PM
Ben Pope

Bill wrote:
My Athlon XP 2500+ is running at these temperatures as reported in
BIOS:

CPU: 50C idle, 59C full load
Motherboard : 36C idle, 38C full load

Thats pretty hot... my case is ~2°C above my room temp, it's possible that a
fan is blowing pretty close to the sensor. 10°C above an already very warm
room is the primary reason your CPU is getting fairly warm.

Room Temp: around 25C to 27C I think

Fairly warm room.

Here's my setup:
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (overclocked as 3000+)
186 FSB x 11.5, CPU core raised to 1.86V
AsRock K7VM4 motherboard
One 80mm case fan on back pull air out

I'm thinking about getting a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ to cool it down
somewhat, but if these temperatures is just fine, I'll just keep using
the stock heatsink and fan.

I would look firstly at your case cooling system.

By the way is the temperature reported in BIOS usually accreate as the
actual CPU core temp? or is it somewhat higher or lower than actual
CPU core temp?

I'm also running MBM 5 in WinXP and it report my CPU temp 5C lower
than whats in the BIOS. So how does MBM 5 get this number if the BIOS
is reading 5C higher than it report?

5°C is nothing... CPU Diode temp can change 10°C within several seconds.

If you have MBM5 set up properly, and your motherboard supports it, then you
should have CPU Diode, Socket and case temps.
Looking he http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asrock.html you don't have one
of the cpu temps... which one I don't know, but I suspect socket temp.

Your best bet is to run Prime95 torture test and check the temps a couple of
minutes later... that will give you your peak temps - CPU Diode is the one
you need to keep an eye on, personally I think it should remain below 60°C
for most situations but I would suggest 70°C as a limit.

Ben

Old December 3rd 03, 11:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:50:30 -0800, Bill wrote:

My Athlon XP 2500+ is running at these temperatures as reported in BIOS:

CPU: 50C idle, 59C full load
Motherboard : 36C idle, 38C full load
Room Temp: around 25C to 27C I think

Here's my setup:
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (overclocked as 3000+) 186 FSB x 11.5, CPU core
raised to 1.86V AsRock K7VM4 motherboard
One 80mm case fan on back pull air out

Move the case fan to lower front as an intake. Your case temps are high.
That should help with it. The PSU fan is already sucking air out. Or just
add a front intake fan. Clear any obstruction from the fan hole in the
frontof the case. It will make a lot of difference. Case temps should be
no more than about 6C above room temp. CPU temps look a little high, but
lowering case temp will also lower cpu temps. If you've got a cooper based
cpu cooler, I won't worry about changing it. If you decide to replace it,
I'd look at something besides the Volcano 7+. There's lots of cheaper
coolers that will work just as well, and quieter.

Old December 4th 03, 12:14 AM
~misfit~

IC wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It does depend a lot on where the mobo thermistor is though. My case
temp reads close to my socket temp ( a few degrees lower than diode) but it
(thermistor) is directly in the exhaust airflow from my Graphics card. I
have three case fans (two in, one out), as well as PSU fan out of course.
--
~misfit~

---

Old December 4th 03, 07:19 AM
Michael Brown

DaveL wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
DaveL wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm disagreeing with most of the people
replying. Sure the case temp is a little high, but not too much.
The real problem is the temp differential between the case and the
cpu. Your differential is between 14c and 21c. That would
indicate poor cpu cooling. My differential runs about 4c to 5c.
You might need to reattach the HSF with the proper application of
compound. You might also need a better HSF.

I doubt your differential is 4-5°C between the case and CPU Diode.
Case and socket, maybe.

There is a distincy difficulty in comparing these things unless it's
specifically stated which values they're using (and many people
don't know).

I have an Epox 8RDA+. It has a thermistor under the cpu. But what I
said is still valid.

Except that the OP was reporting die temps ... And it all depends heavily on
the motherboard too. But yes, they should be within 5 degrees of each other,
plus or minus about 20 degrees

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old December 4th 03, 02:33 PM
BF

CPU: 50C idle, 59C full load
Motherboard : 36C idle, 38C full load
Room Temp: around 25C to 27C I think

Here's my setup:
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (overclocked as 3000+)
186 FSB x 11.5, CPU core raised to 1.86V
AsRock K7VM4 motherboard
One 80mm case fan on back pull air out

Mine runs about 20C above MB temp, under load.
Your CPU temp is high because your MB temp is
high. My MB temp runs about 2C above room temp.
You need better airflow through the computer.
Also, make sure all wiring is out of the way and
not blocking airflow. Put in an intake fan to pull
in some cool air.

Old December 4th 03, 05:04 PM
DaveL

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm disagreeing with most of the people replying. Sure
the case temp is a little high, but not too much. The real problem is the
temp differential between the case and the cpu. Your differential is
between 14c and 21c. That would indicate poor cpu cooling. My differential
runs about 4c to 5c. You might need to reattach the HSF with the proper
application of compound. You might also need a better HSF.

I also agree with the guy that said a low front intake fan is best.

Dave

om...

Old December 4th 03, 05:29 PM
jeffc

"DaveL" wrote in message

I also agree with the guy that said a low front intake fan is best.

Why? Assuming there is a high rear outlet for the power supply, which is
almost always the case, what place is better than low front for the intake?
It makes perfect sense - you have air flowing over the entire motherboard
that way. Anyway along the top of the case makes no sense. Low on the side
is acceptable as long as it's not too close to the rear - then the airflow
bypasses too much hardware.