P4V800-X and 3x512MB RAM Causes Reboots

Old January 17th 04, 12:24 AM
Steve Griffiths

Default P4V800-X and 3x512MB RAM Causes Reboots

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on a problem I have with my
system. I have a new P4V800-X board and 3 sticks of Infineon 512MB PC2700
Ram.

If I place 2 sticks in and leave the bios ram settings on Auto then the
system runs fine. If I place the third in then it reboots at the windows
flash screen.

If I go into the bios and change the settings so I specify 333MHz and CAS
2.5 as the ram speed it reboots just after login. If I change the CAS to 2
it reboots at the sign in screen.

I'm not entirely sure what settings it should be at but it seems with 3x
sticks in the board cant auto detect settings to well, has anyone got the
same problem or does anyone know a fix?

Cheers,

Steve Griffiths

P4 2.4GHz 533MHz - Not overclocked, auto settings in bios
3x Infineon PC2700 512MB
Asus P4V800-X (Latest bios)
Hercules Radeon 9000Pro 128MB
SB Audigy2 ZS
1x 120MB Maxtor HDD
CDRW, DVDROM, DVDRW
500W PSU

Old January 17th 04, 09:59 AM
Maximus

You can test by changing the RAM slots. Once I tested with 3 sticks of RAM
in my P4P800 DLX, with default in BIOS ( just Auto with everything ); the
system
boots and works normally.

One thing I can think of is the possibility that the RAM is not seated well.
I got this
symptom when I changed the slots, so sometimes I gently shaked the RAM or
reinserted several times until I thought it would be fine.

Max
---------