2500 Barton - running too hot?

Old July 29th 03, 10:50 PM
Neil

Default 2500 Barton - running too hot?

I just upgraded my system internals, buying a
pre-built/pre-tested/pre-configured 2500+ Barton, with ECS L7VTA mainboard
(V1.1), 2 x 256mb PC2700, and a Spire fan (all from Novatech in the UK).

I'm not trying any form of overclocking.

Right from when I first turned it on, the BIOS reported the CPU temp as
around 66 degrees C. After a few mins powered on, it was at 69-70. With
moderate usage it hit 72 degrees. I called the vendor, who suggested I
lift and reseat the heatsink in case it was offset. On doing that I could
see the thermal pad on the bottom of that was really thin where it made
contact, and almost no residue on the CPU. I've cleaned both off, and
tried some Arctic Silver II, and that possibly reduced the temperature by
(just) 3-4 degrees.

I'm having trouble getting any sensible readings out of Motherboard Monitor
5, but if I reboot and check the BIOS temps, even after just Email running
previously, it's running at around 65 to 66 degrees.

If I take the side of the case off, the temperature drops by 1 degree or so.
If I direct a room fan at the open side it drops perhaps 1-2 degrees more,
but still is idling at 60-61 degrees C.

With the system on, the room it's in tends to get a little warm (24-25
degrees centrigade). Ihaven't found a sensor in MBM that shows the
internal system temperature.

From other posts though it does appear as if other people are running more
at 45-50 degrees C.

Am running in a case with 2 to 3 EIDE hard-drives; 1 x DVD, 1x DVD-R, and 3
PCI cards, plus an AGP card. The case has a fan on the lower front drawing
air in, and a fan on the rear middle drawing out. Power supply is 300W.

I welcome any thoughts/advice. I'm a bit frustrated, as I though buying a
pre-configured system, and a supposedly cooler Barton, would eliminate such
problems.

--
regards,
Neil

Old July 29th 03, 11:08 PM
Lee Blaver

Neil wrote:

I'm not trying any form of overclocking.

Right from when I first turned it on, the BIOS reported the CPU temp as
around 66 degrees C. After a few mins powered on, it was at 69-70. With
moderate usage it hit 72 degrees. I called the vendor, who suggested I
lift and reseat the heatsink in case it was offset. On doing that I could
see the thermal pad on the bottom of that was really thin where it made
contact, and almost no residue on the CPU. I've cleaned both off, and
tried some Arctic Silver II, and that possibly reduced the temperature by
(just) 3-4 degrees.

Have you checked that the HSF they have supplied is actually recommended
for the Barton?
I assume it's at least copper-cored?

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Old July 29th 03, 11:31 PM
John

I hope the vendor made sure you had something to replace the thermal pad
before he/she told you to reseat the heatsink.

Since you had Artic Silver II on hand, I'll bet you already know the
following, but just in case, I'll say it anyway. Make sure you don't use
too much of the thermal compound since that can be almost as bad as too
little. Also, how thoroughly did you clean off the thermal pad? If you
aren't familiar with the process, check:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Again, please forgive me if you already know all this.

Old July 29th 03, 11:39 PM

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

From other posts though it does appear as if other people are running more
at 45-50 degrees C.

Am running in a case with 2 to 3 EIDE hard-drives; 1 x DVD, 1x DVD-R, and

3
PCI cards, plus an AGP card. The case has a fan on the lower front

drawing
air in, and a fan on the rear middle drawing out. Power supply is 300W.

I welcome any thoughts/advice. I'm a bit frustrated, as I though buying

pre-configured system, and a supposedly cooler Barton, would eliminate

such
problems.

--
regards,
Neil

I've just built a system which includes a Retail 2500+ Barton onto a MSI
K7N2G-L board and the cpu core temp idles at around 35 degrees. Mind you
the heatsink has a nice lump of copper on the base. Not bothered with ASIII
this time, just used the pad on the base. The mediocre Tsunami case has only
one extra fan sucking air out a couple of Seagate Barra's, DVD/CD/RW,
Geforce 4 and a couple of other cards. I must say that the board and the
barton make a good combination, rock solid.
Best advice would be to build one yourself, if you can. I guess you already
know that. Also I hope you have a decent PSU in there.

Old July 29th 03, 11:49 PM
Neil

Have you checked that the HSF they have supplied is actually recommended
for the Barton?
I assume it's at least copper-cored?

Um, no..... it had no particular markings, and the store is a
nationwide-selling long established, pc-making company, so I'd made the
assumption they would supply matched outfits. I could be wrong on that
though, particularly bearing in mind how what was released was so quickly
operating at such a high temperature. I'll call them and check.

Neil

Old July 30th 03, 12:15 AM
djimbo

"Neil" wrote in message
I just upgraded my system internals, buying a
pre-built/pre-tested/pre-configured 2500+ Barton, with ECS L7VTA mainboard
(V1.1), 2 x 256mb PC2700, and a Spire fan (all from Novatech in the UK).

I'm not trying any form of overclocking.

Right from when I first turned it on, the BIOS reported the CPU temp as
around 66 degrees C. After a few mins powered on, it was at 69-70. With
moderate usage it hit 72 degrees.

I may be miss-interpreting what you've written here, but if the BIOS is
reporting 66DegC on startup [from cold]
then the sensor is wildly miscalibrated.
They always err on the high side, but I'm going to suggest that no CPU gets
up to 66DegC before you have a chance to read the BIOS data (assuming some
heatsinking and fan running of course).
If the room temp is 23 DegC then it should be starting from somewhere
arround there in the first few seconds.
You appear to be saying it only goes up 6DegC from cold, which is
acceptable.
Have you tried feeling the chip/Heatsink in operation to see if the MK1
finger-end test can discern overheating?
Presuming of course you have some idea from other CPUs
Or better still a known reliable temp probe, say on a multimeter.

jim.

Old July 30th 03, 12:21 AM
Strontium

Reading your post, I get the feeling that it may be just a bad sensor.

-
Neil stood up, at show-n-tell in
and said:

[...]

From other posts though it does appear as if other people are running
more at 45-50 degrees C.

Am running in a case with 2 to 3 EIDE hard-drives; 1 x DVD, 1x DVD-R,
and 3 PCI cards, plus an AGP card. The case has a fan on the lower
front drawing air in, and a fan on the rear middle drawing out.
Power supply is 300W.

I welcome any thoughts/advice. I'm a bit frustrated, as I though
buying a pre-configured system, and a supposedly cooler Barton, would
eliminate such problems.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old July 30th 03, 12:21 AM
Tony Houghton

In ,
Neil wrote:

I just upgraded my system internals, buying a
pre-built/pre-tested/pre-configured 2500+ Barton, with ECS L7VTA mainboard
(V1.1), 2 x 256mb PC2700, and a Spire fan (all from Novatech in the UK).

[Running very hot]

FWIW my friend recently got a set of parts from Novatech, including an
XP2000+ (I think it's a Palomino though, so prone to generating lots of
heat, probably more than the Barton) and a cooler which was supposed to
be good enough for up to 2GHz. In the hot weather recently his system
shut down because it reached 75C.

This looks like the best deal in Athlon coolers ATM:

http://www.astleywhittle.com/shoppin...ils.php?id=378

--
Use Reply-To and DO NOT remove .nospam when replying
Old July 30th 03, 12:25 AM
Tony Houghton

In ,
djimbo wrote:

I may be miss-interpreting what you've written here, but if the BIOS is
reporting 66DegC on startup [from cold]
then the sensor is wildly miscalibrated.
They always err on the high side, but I'm going to suggest that no CPU gets
up to 66DegC before you have a chance to read the BIOS data (assuming some
heatsinking and fan running of course).

It will if the heatsink is making bad contact, but then the temperature
rise under load would probably be more severe.

--
Use Reply-To and DO NOT remove .nospam when replying
Old July 30th 03, 12:32 AM
dorothy.bradbury

CPU coolers recirculate air - usually 50-70oC.

Leaving the side of a caseoff, reduces this by allowing some of the
exhausted heatsink air to be moved "out of intake" more easily.

Adding a desk-fan blowing right at the CPU cooler is around 80-400cfm.
That this only dropped the temperature by 1-2oC suggests a problem:
o The heatsink is grossly under-sized re cooling/transfer/size
o The CPU temperature monitoring is grossly inaccurate

I suspect the latter, but there is a relatively simple test.
o If the CPU were running 62oC+ as cited
o Then the heatsink itself should be barely touchable

The limit for a human to hold anything is ~67oC.
Above that and the perception is usually one of pain.

Another factor is whether the fan is working properly, there are (very)
few situations where a fan runs grossly below spec rpm however.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan (Ebay)