"Mixing" FAT and NTSF--Please Help a Moron Understand

Old December 30th 04, 12:06 AM

Default "Mixing" FAT and NTSF--Please Help a Moron Understand

Okay, I bought a WD 80GB on sale at Office Max for $100. Now the
extent of my stupidity will become clear.

How does adding another drive, with a different file partition system,
"mix" with the original (internal) C: drive? In other words, what does
the sweet little C: drive care if a big sugar daddy E: drive moves in
to the computer, if the big sugar daddy doesn't "give" her anything?
Wow, I should write romance novels.

I bought this WD to edit movies and burn DVDs (I only had 20 gigs on my
ThinkPad); the movie editing program suggested at least 40.
I just don't understand how those extra 80 GBs will "help" the internal
drive do all that work if they have "nothing in common." What is the
"bridge" between the two drives and the two file systems?

I feel like a beauty-school drop-out instead of a computer school
drop-out!

Old December 30th 04, 01:58 AM

Gary L. wrote:

I'd recommend re-formatting the drive using the NTFS file system for
use with large video files.

How do you do dat?

Old December 30th 04, 11:19 PM

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
Something very helpful and kind.

Thank you very much for responding.

Old December 31st 04, 01:08 AM

I got some excellent advice from the last person who responded, but
when it came to labelling the volume, I pooped out.

I know as a computer school drop-out, I should really understand how a
volume is different from a drive, and how a volume can be on two
drives, etc., but I don't.

What does it mean to label a volume, and why do you have to do it?
*Really?*

(Please look at title of thread before responding.)

Old December 31st 04, 11:13 PM

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

The volume label is just the 'name' of the drive. When you look at

it
in explorer, it's shown instead of a generic 'fixed drive' name or
similar. You can also change it in explorer by simply right clicking

the
drive letter and choosing rename.

Thanks again, Andrew. When I couldn't name the volume successfully in
DOS, I found a new program on XP's Help; I think it was called Drive
Management. Anyway, I was able to format the new drive through this XP
program.

Happy New Year!