GF3 Ti200 - GF3 Ti4200

Old September 4th 03, 08:47 AM
Nick Hogg

Default GF3 Ti200 - GF3 Ti4200

if your main use for the card is gaming, then the ti4200 will offer a big
leap in performance, smoothness, responsiveness etc. if not, then not.

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message
news
Hi all

Just looking for some quick advice.

My system currently is....

Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
GeForce 3 Ti200 64Mb
512Mb SDRAM
15" TFT Monitor
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital
1x80Gb HDD
1x40Gb HDD

I am looking to upgrade the gfx card although I am on a very limited

budget
indeed at the moment. My limit is around £70 andthat is pushing the boat

out
a little bit to say the least :-S

I have found a inno3D AGP8X Tornado GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB @ £72.00. I am
just wanting to know if this card is worth purchasing as an upgrade to the
Ti200. I really cannot push th ebudget any further so "spending that

little
extra and getting ....." is a no go.

Any advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daniel Yates

Old September 4th 03, 08:54 AM
Daniel Yates

"Nick Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yup, gaming is my main objective so I guess I will be going for it today -
WOOT!!

Cheers

Daniel

Old September 4th 03, 10:17 AM
~misfit~

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message

"Nick Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm running a GF4 ti4200/128MB RAM and play a lot of games and am very happy
with it. There will always be people who will tell you that you need this
card or that card (usually in the 2-300 pound bracket) but, in reality, you
don't. The ti4200 is an excellent card for the price.
--
~misfit~

---

Old September 4th 03, 11:56 AM
Strontium

-
~misfit~ stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message

"Nick Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
if your main use for the card is gaming, then the ti4200 will offer
a big leap in performance, smoothness, responsiveness etc. if not,
then not.

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message
news

snip

I have found a inno3D AGP8X Tornado GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB @
£72.00. I am just wanting to know if this card is worth purchasing
as an upgrade to the Ti200. I really cannot push th ebudget any
further so "spending that little extra and getting ....." is a no
go.

Any advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daniel Yates

Yup, gaming is my main objective so I guess I will be going for it
today - WOOT!!

I'm running a GF4 ti4200/128MB RAM and play a lot of games and am
very happy with it. There will always be people who will tell you
that you need this card or that card (usually in the 2-300 pound
bracket) but, in reality, you don't. The ti4200 is an excellent card
for the price.

I had no need to upgrade my GF3 Ti200, until I upped my box (from a Duron
950 to a P4 2.4C). At that point, the card became the bottleneck Until
the day I finally got my 9700np, that old Ti200 ran everything I threw at
it, nicely. Only slowed, when I upped all of details and during heavy
shading (all at 1024x768). Of course, I was overclocking @ 250/500 for most
of the 1.5yrs I had it hehe.

I, honestly, think OP would be better off just waiting until they can remove
the CPU/memory bottleneck to upgrade. And, then, get a DX9 card. An extra
5000 3DMarks really isn't worth the upgrade. I wanted, for a while to do
the Ti4200 thing. I'm glad that I didn't. Woulda been wasted money, after
upping my system and seeing the DX9 cards roll out.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 4th 03, 12:17 PM
Daniel Yates

"Strontium" wrote in message
news

-
, and said:

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message

"Nick Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I cant help feeling that when I purchased this system the card was
"insufficient" for it. I have often found my 3dmark01 SE scores to be below
the avergae standard for this kind of rig. I am currently saving anything I
can to put towards a building my new setup which is chewing all the spare
cash. i am reckoning at least 6-12 months before I can build it and even
then the graphics card will not be included as I expect to go all out with
the card when it comes to the new system. I am finding certain games like
Battlefield 1942 and Morrowind have always struggled a little but managed
overall but this is with all eye candy turned off, no AA or AF at all,
overclocked to 220/434 and this is with getting a couple of artifacts. It is
supposed to be 4ns memory on the card but I am sure it is 3.6 as the default
clocks were 175/366 so mayhaps that is why this ti200 underperforms compared
to many others. Cheap ass Tiny Computers, thank god they went bust lmao.

A 5000 point increase at the moment I feel will be more than enough for me
to stick a bit of eye candy on some of the games. The Ti4200 I am thinking
of buying today is the Inno3D Tornado, the fastest of the range - 8X AGP
128Mb RAM and the memory is running higher than standard 4200's. The tornado
range runs the memory at 513Mhz which sounded rather funky to me. The card
comes with a reasonable fan and ramsinks on it so it should be all go for a
little overclocking. After trawling through reviews I have seen a repeating
comment that this card can easily overclock to Ti4600 standards so I reckon
that might be my aim, in which case I will have saved a fortune in
comparison I reckon, but time will tell.

Anyhow - gotta go and buy the bugger now! After I have had a fiddle with it
I will post again letting you know how it OC's and what not. Probably
tommorow or the day after as I have a helluva day tommorow, gotta fix my
cousins tower and I just know he will want his monthly format doing lmfao!!!
He really does not have any idea about internet security :-S

Peace

Daniel Yates

Old September 4th 03, 12:18 PM
Daniel Yates

I just realised the title says GF3 Ti4200, eerrrrrrr that was supposed to be
GF4 Ti4200. Sorry about that

Daniel

Old September 4th 03, 05:17 PM
Thomas

Daniel Yates wrote:
Anyhow - gotta go and buy the bugger now! After I have had a fiddle
with it I will post again letting you know how it OC's and what not.
Probably tommorow or the day after as I have a helluva day tommorow,
gotta fix my cousins tower and I just know he will want his monthly
format doing lmfao!!! He really does not have any idea about internet
security :-S

Did you get it already? I missed yr post yesterday. Did you research the
option to upgrade to a Ati Radeon 9600 (Pro) ? This chip is quite a bit
newer, especially in 3D gaming it might last longer than the Ti4200...

Thomas

Old September 4th 03, 10:54 PM
Faustus

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:18:44 +0100, "Daniel Yates"
wrote:

I just realised the title says GF3 Ti4200, eerrrrrrr that was

supposed to be
GF4 Ti4200. Sorry about that

Daniel

Heh...no biggie...we all knew what you did

Faustus

PS I love my MSI Ti4200...got it from Newegg. It came with Morrowind!
And 6 other games!

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002
Old September 4th 03, 11:45 PM
Daniel Yates

wrote:

I just realised the title says GF3 Ti4200, eerrrrrrr that was

supposed to be
GF4 Ti4200. Sorry about that

Daniel

Heh...no biggie...we all knew what you did

Faustus

PS I love my MSI Ti4200...got it from Newegg. It came with Morrowind!
And 6 other games!

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

Morrowind is without doubt the most amazing game I have ever played - you
really need to get your paws on the Tribunal expansion, and also the
Bloodmoon one, oh especially that - playing the game as a werewolf is not as
easy as you would think! lmao

Can I ask - do you have the standard Ti4200 or the later 8xAGP Ti4200. The
one I have ordered is the 8x w/128mb ram. Apparently the memory is default
at 513Mhz which seems waaaaay high, but im not complaining. How is morrowind
running on the card. Are you able to have full real time shadows running
alongside full AI and distance with this card or will I still need to keep
the settings down do you think? Morrowind os one of my main reasons for
upgrading alongside BF1942, but from what I have gathered BF is a total hog
anyho o I am not expecting miracles with that one lol

Peace

Daniel

Old September 5th 03, 09:28 AM
~misfit~

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message

"Strontium" wrote in message
news

-
, and said:

"Daniel Yates" wrote in message

"Nick Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My Leadtek A280-LE TDH ti4200 also runs the memeory at 513Mhz as standard
and has an excellent overclocking proggy included with it. I've had it
running at 300/600 with no problems but dropped it back to default (250/513)
as I didn't notice any difference in the games I play, non of which are
particularly demanding of the graphics card. It also has an humoungous
heatsink covering both sides of the card and all the RAM chips.
--
~misfit~

---