athlon V semperon

Old September 2nd 04, 06:47 AM
chris

Default athlon V semperon

is the new semperon cpu better than the atlon - if so in what way

thanks

Old September 2nd 04, 06:57 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:47:35 +0800, chris wrote:

is the new semperon cpu better than the atlon - if so in what way

No, it's not. Assuming you mean Sempron. Search back a ways for warning.
i've explained this too many times in the last few weeks.

Old September 2nd 04, 02:36 PM
JK

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2139

Old September 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
Anthony

My real question is should I upgrade to an xp 3200 or go wtih a semperon
chip?

Anthony

Old September 2nd 04, 08:27 PM
The Chief

"chris" wrote in message

is the new semperon cpu better than the atlon - if so in what way

thanks

I think if I were in your place, I would go with the Sempron 3100+ and a
socket 754 MB. You could drop in a AMD64 socket 754 CPU later for a low
cost upgrade down the road. But, if you're not in a hurry to upgrade,
wait a couple of months and go with a socket 939 MB. It seems this
would give you the best long term CPU upgrade capability.

Personally, I would not mess with a socket A MB at this point in
history. My opinion is you would be investing in something that is very
near its end of life already.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:28 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:50:01 -0500, Anthony wrote:

My real question is should I upgrade to an xp 3200 or go wtih a semperon
chip?

If you have a socket A board then don't buy a Sempron for it, they are
overated and overpriced. A 2500+ at half the the of the Sempron is faster
than the Sempron 2800+.

If you're think about a Sempron 3100+ for socket 754, it's not a bad buy,
just be aware that it's slower than an Athlon 64 2800+. Subtract 400 from
th4e model numbers of Sempron if you want a true comparison against Athlon
CPU's. The Sempron are benchmarked differently to compare to Intels
Celeron.

Old September 6th 04, 12:56 PM
Juergen Kluth

Hi,
YES, sempron looks more like Heidi Klum than athlon.
;-))
jk

Old September 8th 04, 04:08 PM
Paul

If I were you, I will upgrade to A64 2800+ since its price is not so much
higher compare with the semperon 3100+.

"Anthony" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:b3JZc.17621$ni.4209@okepread01...

Old September 8th 04, 06:47 PM
JK

The Athlon 64 2800+ looks like it may be discontinued, or might be discontinued soon.
Since the Athlon 64 3000+ is only around $20 more than the 2800+,
I see no reason to consider buying the 2800+.

"chris" wrote in message
is the new semperon cpu better than the atlon - if so in what way

thanks

Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64's MarkW General 2 October 10th 06 12:11 PM
AMD overclocking and semperon 3100s [email protected] General 0 November 24th 04 12:02 PM
athlon V semperon chris General 9 September 8th 04 06:47 PM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 15th 03 04:09 PM
AMD Athlon 64FX first impressions Chris General 14 September 29th 03 02:22 PM