Tiger K8W Power supply recommendations ?

Old May 10th 04, 04:52 PM
bebopper

Default Tiger K8W Power supply recommendations ?

Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

TIA

- bebopper
Old May 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Peter Strömberg

bebopper wrote in
:

Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/quickref/q_s2875_100.pdf

"The Tiger K8W S2875 is EPS12V and ATX12V compatible. Use one of the two
combinations below:

* 2 power connectors: EPS12V (24-pin) + EPS12V (8-pin) power connectors

* 3 power connectors: ATX12V (20-pin) + Drive 12V (4-pin) + ATX12V (4-pin)
power connectors

Check User’s Manual for details"

--
Peter Strömberg
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03
Old May 10th 04, 06:34 PM
bebopper

On 10 May 2004 17:29:44 GMT, "Peter Strömberg"
wrote:

bebopper wrote in
:

Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/quickref/q_s2875_100.pdf

"The Tiger K8W S2875 is EPS12V and ATX12V compatible. Use one of the two
combinations below:

* 2 power connectors: EPS12V (24-pin) + EPS12V (8-pin) power connectors

* 3 power connectors: ATX12V (20-pin) + Drive 12V (4-pin) + ATX12V (4-pin)
power connectors

Check User’s Manual for details"

Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...

- bebopper
Old May 10th 04, 07:52 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:52 -0400, bebopper wrote:

Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...

- bebopper

On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
search for EPS12V power supplies.

Old May 11th 04, 12:13 AM
bebopper

I've been there .. I'm getting the Tyan and memory form Newegg
already. I'm just looking for a suggestion as to what other people
have used with this board, and not all the PS descriptions say what
connectors hang off of it. There are a few different options with
this mobo, one of which is to use the standard EPS, which means I
could use my current 350W.

I don't want to order a PS and find out I need an adapter to
run the K8w according to spec...

I was wondering what advantage there might be to going ATX12v
at all...

Thanks !!

- bebopper

Old May 11th 04, 03:20 AM
General Schvantzkoph

wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:52 -0400, bebopper wrote:

Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...

- bebopper

On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
search for EPS12V power supplies.

350W is to small for dual processor system. Newegg has the Antec True550
EPS12V supply available for $100, that one should be more than adequate.
You don't want to cheap out on the power supply on a system like that.
Between motherboard, processors and memory you are going to have nearly
$2K invested in the box, a few dollars more for a good power supply isn't
going to break you, and more importantly the power supply will be less
likely to break your system.

Old May 11th 04, 03:47 PM
bebopper

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:20:56 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
search for EPS12V power supplies.

350W is to small for dual processor system. Newegg has the Antec True550
EPS12V supply available for $100, that one should be more than adequate.
You don't want to cheap out on the power supply on a system like that.
Between motherboard, processors and memory you are going to have nearly
$2K invested in the box, a few dollars more for a good power supply isn't
going to break you, and more importantly the power supply will be less
likely to break your system.

For the record, I went with the Vantek Stealth VAN-520 ($101.00 at
Newegg) This has 3 fans (adjustable) , 10 Mobex connectors, a 24-20
pin converter and several aux 4,6 and 8 pin as well as two floppy
connectors.

It handles 620W peak. The cables are looonnnggg too !! I suspect
this should hande anything I throw at it ...

Thanks,

- bebopper