Sony DV-camera FireWire not connecting x64

Old January 15th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Sony DV-camera FireWire not connecting x64

I have Windows 2003 x64 edition, which is basically the same as XP x64.
I have a Sony DCR-HC90E DV-camera, and when I connect it with FireWire,
it only comes up as "61883 Class Bus Device" with a yellow exclamation
mark.

Any ideas why it is not shown properly? I have tried Pinnacle 10.1 and
Nero Vision 7 and they cannot find any sources. (of course when it is a
yellow exclamation mark)

Old January 16th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On 15 Jan 2006 13:45:34 -0800, Niklas Engfelt wrote:

I have Windows 2003 x64 edition, which is basically the same as XP x64.
I have a Sony DCR-HC90E DV-camera, and when I connect it with FireWire,
it only comes up as "61883 Class Bus Device" with a yellow exclamation
mark.

Any ideas why it is not shown properly? I have tried Pinnacle 10.1 and
Nero Vision 7 and they cannot find any sources. (of course when it is a
yellow exclamation mark)

Is there any driver you can install ?
Old January 16th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I called Sony and they said that there were only an USB driver for
32-bit Windows and that FireWire should work automatically. They didn't
have any 64-bit drivers. He said FireWire was faster and better as well
especially with higher resolution DV-cameras like mine.

Old January 16th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On 16 Jan 2006 11:37:52 -0800, "Niklas Engfelt" wrote:

Maybe you could try and force to install the drivers by doing a manual
driver-update in the Device Manager, and then select the Sony
Firewire-drivers for the camera. I tried that once in Windows 2000 (I
think) when it didn't recognize my camera properly, and that worked.

jud
Old January 17th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Since the latest version of DirectX 9 is already installed, there is nothing
to install

"Paul" wrote in message
In article . com, "Niklas
Engfelt" wrote:

I called Sony and they said that there were only an USB driver for
32-bit Windows and that FireWire should work automatically. They didn't
have any 64-bit drivers. He said FireWire was faster and better as well
especially with higher resolution DV-cameras like mine.

61883 is an IEC specification. It has a number of parts, one of
which has to do with "plugs" and control of the Firewire interface.
(I can see references to IEC61883 in a search engine, but no
good abstract of what the standard actually contains.)

Apparently DirectShow has something to do with this. Perhaps
installing DirectX will resolve the problem ?

Just a guess,
Paul

Old January 17th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I have DirectX 9.0c and all Windows updates so it should be the latest?

I cannot choose any drivers by force since no drivers exist for
FireWire. I have now tried to install Windows XP 32 sp2 and all udpates
and it comes up as an unknown device this time and Windows Movie Maker
cannot find the camera here either.

Old January 17th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I want to transfer video. I don't care about the pictures because I
don't use that feature. I don't think there is an automatic way to
transfer the video since it is lots of data. I think you have to use at
least Windows Movie Maker or some better video applications like ULead,
Pinnacle etc. It shows up as unknown device in Windows XP (32) and in
Windows 2003 x64 it showed up once as a 61883 Class Bus Device, but now
it is not there any more. I have tried the automatic install way of the
driver and I have tried to choose the driver myself, but I cannot find
any good driver since there is not driver.

According to the Sony FAQ:
http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DIME...=gen_downloads
they say that there are no drivers for FireWire and that it should be
included in the OS. They give you a link for troubleshooting at MS:
In this KB it says that this is a Sony problem and that I should
contact Sony for a new driver.

Both are throwing pies at each other in other words. I don't think this
is my problem though since my camera is fairly new.