AMD Athlon Mobile XP 1800+/2000+/2200+ running at FSB 200 possible?

Old June 30th 03, 11:28 AM
Clemens Arth

Default AMD Athlon Mobile XP 1800+/2000+/2200+ running at FSB 200 possible?

Hi!

I got a Mitac Clone MiNote 7321 Notebook from IPC Archtec running a
AthlonM 1200 MHz Processor. I worked through the AMD Technical
Specification Docs and the CPU-Support-Tables:

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor_htm/cpu.asp
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont..._Rev03_ENG.pdf

IPC told me that's only possible to use Athlon XP Mobile CPUs capable
of running at FSB 200 MHz (Bios doesn't recognise 266FSB-CPUs) and
that's not possible to use CPUs 1800+ due to thermal problems. So I
don't believe everything I'm told (1500+ was the maximum possible told
a week ago) but what really confuses me is:

Is it possible to run a CPU designed to run at 266FSB to run at
200FSB? Is there a special package type I have to use? The original
datasheet of the Laptop is to be found at (please don't believe
everything!).

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Please, can anyone give me some advice? At the moment prices for CPUs
are quite low and I don't want to miss the chance to upgrade the
notebook as far as possible (2200+ recommended)...

Thanks!
Clemens
Old June 30th 03, 08:48 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:28:30 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Hi!

I got a Mitac Clone MiNote 7321 Notebook from IPC Archtec running a
AthlonM 1200 MHz Processor. I worked through the AMD Technical
Specification Docs and the CPU-Support-Tables:

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor_htm/cpu.asp
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont..._Rev03_ENG.pdf

IPC told me that's only possible to use Athlon XP Mobile CPUs capable
of running at FSB 200 MHz (Bios doesn't recognise 266FSB-CPUs) and
that's not possible to use CPUs 1800+ due to thermal problems. So I
don't believe everything I'm told (1500+ was the maximum possible told
a week ago) but what really confuses me is:

And Abit told me it wasn't possible to use XP cpu's in my old MB too. See
sig line and link.

Is it possible to run a CPU designed to run at 266FSB to run at
200FSB? Is there a special package type I have to use? The original
datasheet of the Laptop is to be found at (please don't believe
everything!).

According to the tech docs, and (and verified by many) the FSB can range
from 50-200MHz (100-400FSB in marketing terms).

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Not found....

Please, can anyone give me some advice? At the moment prices for CPUs
are quite low and I don't want to miss the chance to upgrade the
notebook as far as possible (2200+ recommended)...

I would think any 35watt XP-M cpu would work but i don't know how your NB
will handle the multipliers. You may have to manually change them. Many
ways to do this.

Old July 1st 03, 05:02 AM
Fig

Just off topic Wes, cant seem to view your web page/sig/link

Fig

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:28:30 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Hi!

I got a Mitac Clone MiNote 7321 Notebook from IPC Archtec running a
AthlonM 1200 MHz Processor. I worked through the AMD Technical
Specification Docs and the CPU-Support-Tables:

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor_htm/cpu.asp

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...s/Electrical_S
pecification_Rev03_ENG.pdf

Old July 1st 03, 06:40 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:02:13 +0000, Fig wrote:

Just off topic Wes, cant seem to view your web page/sig/link

It's still there.

Old July 1st 03, 09:30 AM
Clemens Arth

"Wes Newell" wrote in message t...
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:28:30 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Not found....

Sorry, Wes, my fault: The 'l' at the end is wrong:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.htm

I think you're right - sometimes you might think producers of pc
components only want to make profit instead of give appropriate
support to their customers - "You'd better buy a new one than to
upgrade your old one...".

There's a block of four jumpers located behind the keyboard, so
playing around a bit might get things going - until now there's no
announcement about the jumper settings...

I couldn't find a document telling me the thermal specification of any
MOBILE Athlon processor. So I don't know how much thermal power each
processor produces, but according to some articles I read they are all
producing about 40 to 50W - I don't think my AthlonM 1200 is producing
much less then 40 now.

So did I get you right? Documents say, CPUs have a maximum FSB of 266
- using it at 200MHz is no problem? If running them at 200 is no
problem why shouldn't I buy a new XP M 2800+ if I can get it cool
enough?
I noticed that there might be several different forms of XP-M CPUs for
desktop or notebook use, different packages (18/13 micrometer). Do
they all use low voltage stepping? So, knowing that the 13s need lower
default voltage and can get higher in speed, using them shouldn't be a
problem I guess...

Clemens
Old July 1st 03, 12:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:30:26 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message t...
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:28:30 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Not found....

Sorry, Wes, my fault: The 'l' at the end is wrong:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.htm

I think you're right - sometimes you might think producers of pc
components only want to make profit instead of give appropriate
support to their customers - "You'd better buy a new one than to
upgrade your old one...".

What's real strange here is that they show it only to support a 200FSB
(100MHz) abd VIA shows the KN133 chipset that's in it supporting a 133MHz
(266FSB) too. Also, the cpu support link you showed had an 1800+ XP being
supported which uses a 133MHz FSB (266FS). So I'd assume it supports the
266FSB (133MHz).

There's a block of four jumpers located behind the keyboard, so
playing around a bit might get things going - until now there's no
announcement about the jumper settings...

Now these may be the multiplier settings. And like the older desktop MB's
it appears it only supports 4 bits of the 5 multiplier bits. See
Multiplier Cross ref at my site.

I couldn't find a document telling me the thermal specification of any
MOBILE Athlon processor. So I don't know how much thermal power each
processor produces, but according to some articles I read they are all
producing about 40 to 50W - I don't think my AthlonM 1200 is producing
much less then 40 now.

So did I get you right? Documents say, CPUs have a maximum FSB of 266
- using it at 200MHz is no problem? If running them at 200 is no
problem why shouldn't I buy a new XP M 2800+ if I can get it cool
enough?

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. 200FSB is really 100MHz,
400FSB is really 200MHz. So I don't know for sure which you are refering
to with 200MHz as that's 400FSB in AMD marketing BS. In any case, the
CPU's are rated for 50-200MHz, or in amd BS terms that would be
100-400FSB. I also wouldn't waste my money on a 2800+. If like the desktop
cpu's, a TBred B core 2100+ will clock as high as a 2800+. They use the
same core.

I noticed that there might be several different forms of XP-M CPUs for
desktop or notebook use, different packages (18/13 micrometer). Do
they all use low voltage stepping? So, knowing that the 13s need lower
default voltage and can get higher in speed, using them shouldn't be a
problem I guess...

I'd use the one that requires the less power. Assuming your MB will
support the voltage it requires. I'm not really into noteboks. Never owned
one and hated most I've used.:-)

Old July 1st 03, 07:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:10:04 +0000, Fig wrote:

Sorry to bother you Wes but that url dont work for me & 2 other friends in
AU either

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...s/Electrical_S
pecification_Rev03_ENG.pdf

If you meant this one, it wrapped, or you don't have Acrobat Reader
installed. It's a PDF doc. Verified that all links on this page work.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont..._Rev03_ENG.pdf

Old July 1st 03, 07:56 PM
Clemens Arth

That's the big question! What are the jumpers for? The support team
from the notebook producer told me that the jumpers might be used to
change the FSB but they didn't really want to tell me - you know, to
take a notebook to pieces yourself is something they are not very
happy about (warranty and things like that).

You are right. I won't spend money on a 2400+ or a new 2600/2800. I
found offers for a Mobile XP 2200+ for about 80 Euros / 75 Dollars and
a Mobile XP 2400+ for 150 Euros / 140 Dollars. So I'll try the cheaper
one...

My current processor offers this speed stepping (that's why I don't
think the jumpers are for multiplier-changes):

Mult Voltage Speed
5x 1.250 V 500 MHz
6x 1.300 V 600 MHz
7x 1.350 V 700 MHz
8x 1.400 V 800 MHz
9x 1.450 V 900 MHz
10x 1.500 V 1000 MHz
12x 1.550 V 1200 MHz

CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: AMD mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 4 Processor stepping 02

(cuts from powerNOW! for Linux Kernel 2.5.73)

By the way - the link to your page works from here (Austria)

Greets!
Clemens