Disk Replicator Problems

Old December 16th 04, 07:18 AM
Michael Heiming

Default Disk Replicator Problems

In comp.os.linux.misc Kudzy :
We are trying to use a disk replicator to duplicate a Linux disk and
are having problems with the results. At the minimum, the replicator
seems to be using bad sectors/blocks on the target disks when it
should *not* be using them. We have verified with the replicator
vendor that we are using their machine correctly, but still have
problems.

Has anybody experienced problems such as these using a disk
replicator? Do you have any recommendations?

Dunno, never used anything else then 'dd'/'rsync'/'cp'/'sfdisk'
or even simply split a softraid to duplicate disks/systems, no
problems at all. There's no need for any fancy software, which
might not work as expected, your distro should provide you with
anything needed out of the box.

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
mail: echo | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
Old December 16th 04, 06:49 PM
Lee Sau Dan

"Michael" =3D=3D Michael Heiming writ=
es:

Michael In comp.os.linux.misc Kudzy :
We are trying to use a disk replicator to duplicate a Linux
disk and are having problems with the results. At the minimum,
the replicator seems to be using bad sectors/blocks on the
target disks when it should *not* be using them. We have
verified with the replicator vendor that we are using their
machine correctly, but still have problems.

Has anybody experienced problems such as these using a disk
replicator? Do you have any recommendations?

Is the disk very old already? 3 years? 5 years? Normal IDE disks
shouldn't have any apparent bad sectors, and the disk already does
bad-sector remapping. When bad sectors starts to appear to outside
the disk (i.e. to your duplicator or a computer), the disk is usually
dying.

Michael Dunno, never used anything else then
Michael 'dd'/'rsync'/'cp'/'sfdisk' or even simply split a
Michael softraid to duplicate disks/systems, no problems at
Michael all. There's no need for any fancy software, which might
Michael not work as expected, your distro should provide you with
Michael anything needed out of the box.

It seems that the OP is talking about a hardware device. He wrote:
"... using their machine correctly..."

Personally, I wouldn't buy such a hardware. Like you, I'd use dd,
scp, tar, gzip/bzip2, [cs]fdisk, etc. Those are more flexible and
upgradable than any dedicated device. But maybe the OP is involved in
duplicating disks routinely and hence a dedicated device for that task
would make sense.

--=20
Lee Sau Dan =A7=F5=A6u=B4=B0 ~=
{@nJX6X~}

E-mail:
Home page:
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee

SATA disk, slow? Tomaz Koritnik General 5 June 6th 04 04:13 AM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
USB Flash Disk Question Roland General 2 September 24th 03 02:44 PM
Only 128Gb of a 160Gb disk ByTor General 2 July 31st 03 02:49 AM