Cannot install Windows 2000 SP4 onto 160GB Samsung SureSpin HDD

Old November 13th 04, 04:07 PM
John

Default Cannot install Windows 2000 SP4 onto 160GB Samsung SureSpin HDD

Hi,

I have an Intel Monterrey Motherboard (D850GB) and installed a new 160GB
Samsung SureSpin HDD. The BIOS on the board picked up the drive as a 121GB
drive so I ran Disk Manager to install DDO to make the entire disk visible.

When the PC reboots, I get the DDO (Ontrack) blue banner at the top and then
a prompt saying "Press spacebar to boot from HD or press C to boot from
CDROM". I press C, put in the install CD for Windows 2000 Pro with SP4
integrated and press the spacebar to continue and it boots from the hard
drive, i.e. it ignores the CD. The CD is bottable as i have tested it on
another machine.

Any ideas how I can get Windows 2000 onto the HDD ?

Old November 13th 04, 05:20 PM
Paul Murphy

"John" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have an Intel Monterrey Motherboard (D850GB) and installed a new 160GB
Samsung SureSpin HDD. The BIOS on the board picked up the drive as a
121GB
drive so I ran Disk Manager to install DDO to make the entire disk
visible.

When the PC reboots, I get the DDO (Ontrack) blue banner at the top and
then
a prompt saying "Press spacebar to boot from HD or press C to boot from
CDROM". I press C, put in the install CD for Windows 2000 Pro with SP4
integrated and press the spacebar to continue and it boots from the hard
drive, i.e. it ignores the CD. The CD is bottable as i have tested it on
another machine.

Any ideas how I can get Windows 2000 onto the HDD ?

Motherboards which include the Intel 850 Chipset should use Intel
Application Accelerator see he
http://support.intel.com/support/chi.../CS-009299.htm rather than
overlay software such as Disk Manager. Another good source of info on this
topic is he http://www.48bitlba.com/

Paul

Old November 13th 04, 06:42 PM
kony

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:59 -0000, "John"
wrote:

Hi,

I have an Intel Monterrey Motherboard (D850GB) and installed a new 160GB
Samsung SureSpin HDD. The BIOS on the board picked up the drive as a 121GB
drive so I ran Disk Manager to install DDO to make the entire disk visible.

Most likely all you needed to do was update the motherboard
bios.

When the PC reboots, I get the DDO (Ontrack) blue banner at the top and then
a prompt saying "Press spacebar to boot from HD or press C to boot from
CDROM". I press C, put in the install CD for Windows 2000 Pro with SP4
integrated and press the spacebar to continue and it boots from the hard
drive, i.e. it ignores the CD. The CD is bottable as i have tested it on
another machine.

Any ideas how I can get Windows 2000 onto the HDD ?

Why did you press the spacebar?

Get rid of the DDO, flashing the board bios instead.
Old November 13th 04, 11:11 PM
Shep©

wrote:

[...]

If there isn't a BIOS update a PCI hard disk controller card is a
better bet than a DDO plus you get more IDE channels

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old November 14th 04, 11:11 AM
Andy

There is no direct method of installing Windows 2000 on a single 160GB
partition. Even if the BIOS sees the entire 160GB, Windows 200 setup
program will only recognize 128GB. If you insist on doing it, use some
other program to partition and format the 160GB partition, Then
install Windows 2000 in the normal way, using the existing file
system. When installation is complete, use regedit to put EnableBigLba
into the registry. Then run Disk Managment to see if shows the entire
partition. I tried this before and it did work.

Old November 14th 04, 09:02 PM
Paul Murphy

Was that with SP 4 slipstreamed into the Win 2000 Installation CD
(Microsofts way of incorporating SPs into the setup media/file package)?
Windows 2000 prior to SP4 will not see all of a drive above 128 GB so even
if Win2k is installed and then the OS is upgraded, not all the drive will be
seen because its already been partitioned (although the unpartitioned space
should show up in Disk Management). I haven't tried this with Win2k but the
XP SP1a installation CD sees all of my 250 GB drive on an Intel 820 chipset
motherboard right from the outset whereas a non SP XP CD doesn't.

One question for the OP - what is a Samsung SureSpin HDD - I thought the
latest and greatest was the SpinPoint P80 series (I have 4 of them in my
server and they're very quiet drives).

Paul
news