Proliant 3000 Dual processor not recognized

Old September 23rd 04, 11:01 AM
JanN

Default Proliant 3000 Dual processor not recognized

I have a Proliant 3000 rack model with two Pentium 2-400MHz processors. They
are both initialized at startup, but I don't see them in Windows 2003
server. Before Win2k3, there was a Win 2000 professional installation on the
server, but that one didn't see the processor either. Any ideas on how to
get this working?

Jan

Old September 24th 04, 05:56 AM
Nut Cracker

Did you make sure that your APIC mapping is correct ?

Run the F10 utilities, and press CTRL + A. then, run the
SystemConfigurationUtility. where it says, APIC Mode (or something like
that), make sure it says "Full Table", NOT "Full Table, Mapped".

Save the config, restart the box. I assume you installed the OS with both
Proc's installed. You will need to update your machine type in the device
manager (under computer). Choose a multi processor HAL that does not have
ACPI in it. That server doesnt support that (hibernation, suspend, soft
power off, etc.). When asked for the files, make sure you have an a
slipstreamed i386 dir with the relevant SP level for you installation.

reboot, and you should be good. Let us know how it goes.

- LC

Old September 27th 04, 08:13 AM
JanN

I've found the APIC mode setting, and I've changed it to Full table, but
with no succes yet. Updated the machine type, but it still shows "standard
pc". The OS I'm working with is W2k3, but I might try to put the image of
W2k Pro back.
Can the the way memory is installed have something to do with this? I have
now 256MB installed in slot 5 and 128MB in slot 6. The manual says the best
way to fill the memory banks is to use 5 first and then bank 1. I tried to
put the 128MB in bank 1, but then I only have 256MB left. Does this memory
have to be installed in pairs? Thanks for your help.

Jan

"Nut Cracker" schreef in bericht

Old September 27th 04, 05:04 PM
Nut Cracker

did you just update the machine type, or did you force an SMP hal onto the
box ? You need to force it for it to work. It will probably have MPS in the
name, and the machine does not support ACPI, so make sure your choice does
not have that in the name.

give that another try, and get back to us.

- LC

Old September 29th 04, 09:52 AM
JanN

Ok, I got things working... But not with Win2003. I've put an image of the
former installation of Win2000 back on the computer and that one gave me the
option of selecting a dual processor if I turned the option "choose only
compatible hardware" off.
With the Win2003 installation I only kept seeing the standard PC option, and
it couldn't find any other driver in the I386 directory either. A bit of
searching on microsoft.com gave me this KB article:

Looks like this is the problem right? It's not really a problem for me
anyway since I only use this server for testing, and I can do that with
Win2000 as well. Thanks for your help!

JanN

Old October 12th 04, 06:04 PM
Stuart Carrison

To my knowledge, Windows 2003 doesn't support MP with Pentium Pro
processors. I think the PL 3000 uses PPros?

--

Regards,

Stuart

PS remove the obvious to e-mail me.