Compaq Presario 5140 QuickRestore???

Old February 12th 04, 12:57 AM
Marie

Default Compaq Presario 5140 QuickRestore???

My son has a Compaq Presario 5140 that he cannot boot. I was
instructing him to use the QuickRestore CD, but he does not have
one...he claims that one did not come with the PC. I went to the
HP/Compaq site and looked at the specifications for his computer and
it appears that he may be right. Does anyone know how to get to
possibly get this up and running again? He has Win98 on it and has
obtained a boot disk and can get to the C: promt. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated here as it is "the blind leading the blind"!
Thanks.

Marie
Old February 12th 04, 12:05 PM
HH

Marie, there is a QuickRestore link in the Compaq FAQ reposted weekly here.
However, if the OS is Win 98, Compaq may no longer have QuickRestore CDs for
it.
HH

s.com...

Old February 12th 04, 12:13 PM
HH

Marie, the PC did ship with a QuickRestore CD, according to the QuickSpec
sheet.
HH

"HH" wrote in message
news
Marie, there is a QuickRestore link in the Compaq FAQ reposted weekly

here.
However, if the OS is Win 98, Compaq may no longer have QuickRestore CDs

for
it.
HH

s.com...

Old February 12th 04, 05:24 PM
DEJ57

the PC did ship with a QuickRestore CD, according to the QuickSpec
sheet.

It may have well been shipped with this model, and they've lost it...but its
also true that things are not always as the spec sheet says. If I remember
correctly, I had to order the QR for my 4112, as Compaq shipped the PCs to get
them sold evidently before the QRs were ready to be included. No idea if that
may have happened here--but just another example of not trusting in
absolutes....

Dale
Old February 12th 04, 06:20 PM
HH

the 4XXX Series was a special circumstance. 95% of the time, the QuikSpecs
are accurate in this regard. In fact the instance you report is the first
such contradiction I know of where the Specs said it shipped with QR and it
actually did not.

HH

Old February 13th 04, 12:01 AM
DEJ57

95% of the time, the QuikSpecs
are accurate

I'd guess they're even more accurate than that--but my point was that they are
not always 100% accurate, which we agree on.

Dale

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 7th 04 03:59 PM
Compaq Presario 5240 QuickRestore Compaq Computers 2 January 29th 04 12:49 AM
Compaq FAQ (new link included) HH Compaq Computers 0 January 24th 04 02:29 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM