ProLiant server, general question, Tom, HH, Dale????

Old October 10th 03, 02:10 AM
the yeti

Default ProLiant server, general question, Tom, HH, Dale????

I picked up a ProLiant server at a garage sale this weekend (I almost
pooped my pants when I saw it). It is a ML-350, Slot 1 600 MHZ. It
has 3 9gb SCSI drives on the onboard RAID controller. I plan on
installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it. Now of course I have
no documentation on this box, no "restore" CD's etc.. I have not had
any time to play with this and I've never delt with server Hardware or
RAID before. So my question is. What do I need to install the RAID
when I wipe the Drives and reinstall the OS. I know when you start to
install 2K it says "press f6 to install 3rd party RAID drivers" Do I
need RAID drivers from Compaq? Can I download them from somewhere?
NT4 is currently installed and it has RAID level 1, but I want to go
to RAID Level 5. Point me in the right direction for what I need to
know?

This says on the front case Proliant ML-350. There is not any
identification on the compaq web site for that model number.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s...s/retired.html

This one has a Slot 1 P3-600mhz. Any one have links to documentation?
I will dig deeper this weekend when I have some free time. I'd like
to know how big of processor's I can stuff in there.

Thanx for your help all.
Old October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
DEJ57

I picked up a ProLiant server at a garage sale this weekend

Thanks for listing me in such esteem company, but unfortunately I can't help
with something I know next to nothing about. Hard to believe, I know, but I've
only looked at servers from across the room. Well, there was some 286 towers I
did carry to the dumpster once. Go get 'em, guys!

Dale
Old October 10th 03, 03:37 AM
Homer Simpson

There's probably a FAQ on this, but, in a nutshell:
Get a SmartStart CD, v5.5 or below for these older models (check ebay or hp
website).
Boot the CD and go through a guided installation of W2K.
Follow the prompts.
done.

om...

Old October 10th 03, 05:35 AM
HH

Homer is correct. You also might get more info from the alt.sys.
pc-clone.compaq.servers newsgroup.
HH

om...

Old October 11th 03, 05:23 PM
David

Hi Conny ,

I have a memory expansion board with 32Mb X 4 (128 Mb) of EDO designed
for your PL3000 as well I also have the second CPU board with CPU (300
Mhz) and VRM , Again these are genuine Compaq parts all coming from
and designed for a Pl 3000 . I will sell all for $50 if you are
interested . If you are close I will even throw in a system board for
$10

Thanks

David

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 04:52:10 GMT, "Conny Enström"
wrote:

"the yeti" skrev i meddelandet
. com...
[...]

If you take any major Linux distro it has all raid stuff you need.
I have a Proliant 3000 collecting dust here cause I have no special
exspensive EDO SDRAM to it.
Compaq sux...... :-(

Conny

Old October 11th 03, 07:02 PM
Conny Enström

"David" skrev i meddelandet
Hi Conny ,

I have a memory expansion board with 32Mb X 4 (128 Mb) of EDO designed
for your PL3000 as well I also have the second CPU board with CPU (300
Mhz) and VRM , Again these are genuine Compaq parts all coming from
and designed for a Pl 3000 . I will sell all for $50 if you are
interested . If you are close I will even throw in a system board for
$10

Thanks

David

Ok sounds great, but I decided not to spend any money on it, I only have one
9 gb scsi disk. And the redundant PSU indicate that it wants to be changed.

I have a 450 MhZ cpu on it and I also have a external storage case with no
disks + 2 raid cards. Right now I dont know what to do with it.

Conny

Old October 11th 03, 08:01 PM
David

The 450 Mhz model takes PC100 ECC SDRAM not EDO and the drives go
for $30 USD on Ebay , The power supply sells for about $55 on Ebay .
Good luck

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:02:26 GMT, "Conny Enström"
wrote:

.. .