USB 2.0 External 250GB Drive

Old July 21st 04, 10:21 PM
MrManuals

Default USB 2.0 External 250GB Drive

Hi All;
I 'm thinking of buying a 250GB external USB 2.0 drive for backup.
I'm running XP Home, if I buy this drive, how do I get Windoze to
recognize it above the 137mb limit? Or does the 137mb limit only apply
to internal drives?

TIA.

Paul

Old July 22nd 04, 05:38 PM
Grinder

MrManuals wrote:

Hi All;
I 'm thinking of buying a 250GB external USB 2.0 drive for backup.
I'm running XP Home, if I buy this drive, how do I get Windoze to
recognize it above the 137mb limit? Or does the 137mb limit only apply
to internal drives?

That's a limit imposed by the controller, so there's no need to worry
about it for a pre-assembled external drive. If you're plopping an
internal drive into an USB enclosure, you might need to be wary of that.
Unfortunately, I don't see any mentions of those limits he

http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduc... by=11&order=0

Also a small aside -- I've seen a 127Gb limit discussed, but not a 137Mb
one. (137Mb still beats my first hard drive though!)
Old July 22nd 04, 06:11 PM
VWWall

Grinder wrote:
That's a limit imposed by the controller, so there's no need to worry
about it for a pre-assembled external drive. If you're plopping an
internal drive into an USB enclosure, you might need to be wary of that.
Unfortunately, I don't see any mentions of those limits he

http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduc... by=11&order=0

Also a small aside -- I've seen a 127Gb limit discussed, but not a 137Mb
one. (137Mb still beats my first hard drive though!)

They are both the same thing. The capacity limit results from a 28 bit
BIOS, (or controller), being able to access only 2^28 sectors of the
disk. 2^28 = 268435456 times 512 bytes/sector = ~137 Gb using 1 Mb =
1000. Using 1 Mb =2040 this is exactly 128 Gb. The disk makers use the
larger figure.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old July 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
Nikko

"VWWall" wrote in message
link.net...
Grinder wrote:
That's a limit imposed by the controller, so there's no need to worry
about it for a pre-assembled external drive. If you're plopping an
internal drive into an USB enclosure, you might need to be wary of that.
Unfortunately, I don't see any mentions of those limits he

http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduc... by=11&order=0

Also a small aside -- I've seen a 127Gb limit discussed, but not a 137Mb
one. (137Mb still beats my first hard drive though!)

They are both the same thing. The capacity limit results from a 28 bit
BIOS, (or controller), being able to access only 2^28 sectors of the
disk. 2^28 = 268435456 times 512 bytes/sector = ~137 Gb using 1 Mb =
1000. Using 1 Mb =2040 this is exactly 128 Gb. The disk makers use the
larger figure.

I think the guy was making a joke in reference to the original poster's typo
(137 MB is what he typed but I'm sure he meant 137 GB).

Old July 22nd 04, 08:32 PM
MrManuals

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:11:33 GMT, VWWall
wrote:

Grinder wrote:
That's a limit imposed by the controller, so there's no need to worry
about it for a pre-assembled external drive. If you're plopping an
internal drive into an USB enclosure, you might need to be wary of that.
Unfortunately, I don't see any mentions of those limits he

http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduc... by=11&order=0

Also a small aside -- I've seen a 127Gb limit discussed, but not a 137Mb
one. (137Mb still beats my first hard drive though!)

They are both the same thing. The capacity limit results from a 28 bit
BIOS, (or controller), being able to access only 2^28 sectors of the
disk. 2^28 = 268435456 times 512 bytes/sector = ~137 Gb using 1 Mb =
1000. Using 1 Mb =2040 this is exactly 128 Gb. The disk makers use the
larger figure.

Virg Wall

Ok, so what if I were to install an internal drive over 137gb into
this enclosure. Would I be able to get this to work with XP home?
You see, I already have an enclosure that I'd like to use. It has
connections for an IDE drive on the inside, but it connects to a USB
2.0 cable on the outside of the case.

TIA.

Old July 23rd 04, 05:13 AM
MrManuals

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:26:40 GMT, "Nikko"
wrote:

"VWWall" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Grinder wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did mean 137GB

I have an existing USB enclosure, it has an IDE connection on the
inside. What I need to know is can I use say a 160GB drive here
without problems, or am I going to be limited to the 137Gb limit if I
use it this way?

TIA

Old July 23rd 04, 05:33 AM
Grinder

MrManuals wrote:

[snip]

I have an existing USB enclosure, it has an IDE connection on the
inside. What I need to know is can I use say a 160GB drive here
without problems, or am I going to be limited to the 137Gb limit if I
use it this way?

What is the manufacturer and model number of the enclosure? I would
guess that they've been farsighted enough to provide plenty of
addressing, but I would rather find some explicit specs.
Old July 23rd 04, 02:38 PM
MrManuals

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:33:03 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

MrManuals wrote:

[snip]

I have an existing USB enclosure, it has an IDE connection on the
inside. What I need to know is can I use say a 160GB drive here
without problems, or am I going to be limited to the 137Gb limit if I
use it this way?

What is the manufacturer and model number of the enclosure? I would
guess that they've been farsighted enough to provide plenty of
addressing, but I would rather find some explicit specs.

My enclosure really doesn't have any markings on it except for ' High
Speed Alloy Enclosure' Bought it on eBay. I used it before with an
80gb drive, but I had an internal drive failure and I had to use the
back up drive as a replacement for it.

TIA.

Paul

Old July 23rd 04, 05:30 PM
Grinder

MrManuals wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:33:03 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

MrManuals wrote:

[snip]

I have an existing USB enclosure, it has an IDE connection on the
inside. What I need to know is can I use say a 160GB drive here
without problems, or am I going to be limited to the 137Gb limit if I
use it this way?

What is the manufacturer and model number of the enclosure? I would
guess that they've been farsighted enough to provide plenty of
addressing, but I would rather find some explicit specs.

My enclosure really doesn't have any markings on it except for ' High
Speed Alloy Enclosure' Bought it on eBay. I used it before with an
80gb drive, but I had an internal drive failure and I had to use the
back up drive as a replacement for it.

At this point I will have to defer to someone with more experience with
these enclosures. Hopefully they will happen by...