motherboard for gaming question

Old June 17th 04, 05:40 AM
bam

Default motherboard for gaming question

first off i know this a widely asked question about motherboards,and you
can only spend so much time googling a subject before getting frustrated and
bored.so iam sorry in advance for asking a question that has been asked over
and over.
like i said iam building a computer strictly for games.i plan on using a
p4 3.2 or 3.4,1 gig or more of ram.there will be some networking involved
because this comp will not touch the internet.it will be connected to
another comp that will do all the upgrading.then files transfered over.
the motherboards iam trying to decide between are the abit IC7-max3 and
the asus p4c800-edeluxe.i have been doing online research for about a month
and i cannot decide.am i overlooking a board that may be better.like i said
this is strictly for games.i do not know how to overclock, so that will not
affect my decision.thanks in advance.

Old June 17th 04, 09:45 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

bam wrote:
first off i know this a widely asked question about motherboards,and
you can only spend so much time googling a subject before getting
frustrated and bored.so iam sorry in advance for asking a question
that has been asked over and over.
like i said iam building a computer strictly for games.i plan on
using a p4 3.2 or 3.4,1 gig or more of ram.there will be some
networking involved because this comp will not touch the internet.it
will be connected to another comp that will do all the upgrading.then
files transfered over. the motherboards iam trying to decide
between are the abit IC7-max3 and
the asus p4c800-edeluxe.i have been doing online research for about a
month and i cannot decide.am i overlooking a board that may be
better.like i said this is strictly for games.i do not know how to
overclock, so that will not affect my decision.thanks in advance.

Forget Abit. ASUS make the most rock-solid boards in the known Universe. Go
with the ASUS.

Old June 17th 04, 02:28 PM
Chris Stolworthy

"bam" wrote in message
[...]

I have had good luck with tha Abit board, I am running it in one of my
systems and 2 of my friends run it. No problems whatsoever, I love it.

Old June 17th 04, 04:31 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:28:35 -0600, "Chris Stolworthy"
wrote:

I have had good luck with tha Abit board, I am running it in one of my
systems and 2 of my friends run it. No problems whatsoever, I love it.

I like both and Ive been ****ed off at both. Ive had problems with
both brands the last few years. In the OLD days when I had Intel stuff
- never ever had a MB problem. But the last few years there were VIA
chipset problems I had to work around .

And then hardware problems. Ive probably had more problems with ABITs
but switched to abit after having a hardware problem on my ASUS that
drove me nuts. Im pretty sure it was the fan on the northbridge now. I
RMAd one board after mysterious lockups and they were testy. It was
the first one Id ever done. Then they sent me another one that LOCKED
UP ! Not as bad but it still did it. I traced it finally to an
intermittently working fan on the northbridge.

I replaced that fan several times and had to use thermal tape. It kept
coming back and I finally out of desperation tried superglue and
thermal paste to apply the fan - a big graphics card fan. No problems
since then. The initial problem was the fan and then it was the
thermal tape. Im glad they have passive cooling now with just a big
heatsink instead of the little bitty cheapo fans which they stick on
in some weird way that you cant replace.

Abit - Ive owned several that seemed to have big problems after about
a year or so just like the ASUS. But there was no easy fix with the
Abits. There was the story about bad caps which seemed to affect Abits
the most. Some guy was offering to replace them for a fee in the Abit
group. I assume they fixed that since then so they probably are OK
now.

Eventhough Ive had problems with 3 boards - the last one was a KT333
board which I RMAd and got a replacement which like the ASUS also
still had problems, mysterious lockups only on the highpoint
controller which I think I traced to drivers and the problem still
seems to be there---- the thing about abit is - if you do have
problems they are very very responsive unlike ASUS. So I probably
wouldnt mind getting either one at this point. I dont use the
highpoint "extra" IDE connections now, just use the first two channels
and use it as a second PC.

Old June 18th 04, 07:33 AM
Graeme

"Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message

"bam" wrote in message
[...]

Can I ask if boards from Gigabyte are considered to be of the same quality
as Asus & Abit ?