Building A New Rig

Old June 30th 03, 07:52 PM

Default Building A New Rig

Hi all

Sorry to post this in here but I couldnt find another newsgroup that would
be more appropriate so apologies to those who are bothered.

I am going to build a new PC ( my first attempt ) and would like to know a
few things before going ahead and buying the parts etc.

I have decided to go for a processor and motherboard that are both capable
of intel's hyper-threading, simply so that the system is forward compliant
to any further technologies that come about from this. The motherboard is a
gigabyte GA-8S648FX and on this I want to place a socket 478 p4 3.0ghz with
800mhz FSB, 1gb of DDR RAM 400mhz and a nVidia GeForce FX5900 256MB DDR

All I want to know is can anyone see and conflicting issues with these
components - any known bugs, compatibility problems etc

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Daniel

--
[NBS]Druidwitch
http://www.nbsnipers.com

Old June 30th 03, 08:08 PM
LiveWire

Any advice greatly appreciated

You must be crazy to put a killer CPU like the 800FSB P4-3.0Ghz on a SIS
chipset rather than an 865/875 chipset w/dual channel memory.

--
LiveWire

Old June 30th 03, 10:15 PM
Keith Clark

"[NBS]Druidwitch" wrote:

This is what I anted to know - like I said it will be a first attempt and I
am expecting to be the last attempt for some years

Optimistic, aren't we? ;-

Here's an article that will help you understand why and how you'll get more bang
for your buck by going with the chipset that was recommended by the previous
poster.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-2400c-oc.html

Video card - something based on an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200/4400/4600. The 4200
based cards are the most affordable, around a hundred bucks. I'm going to put
one in the next system I build in a couple of months.

Memory - two sticks of dual-channel PC3700 DDR from OCZ or Corsair.

-Keith

Old June 30th 03, 10:27 PM
Frode

Old June 30th 03, 11:02 PM
Keith Clark

Frode wrote:

For memory you'll want DDR 400MHz CL2 or at most 2.5. Stay clear of CL3.
And you'll want two identical ones for dual channel to work.

- --
Frode

Some companies sell matched sticks that were tested together.

Here's one example...

http://www.markonecomputers.com/web-...-3700PT&src=pw.

Old June 30th 03, 11:05 PM
Keith Clark

Keith Clark wrote:

Frode wrote:

For memory you'll want DDR 400MHz CL2 or at most 2.5. Stay clear of CL3.
And you'll want two identical ones for dual channel to work.

- --
Frode

Some companies sell matched sticks that were tested together.

Here's one example...

http://www.markonecomputers.com/web-...-3700PT&src=pw.

Hmmmm - that link didn't work. Try this one :

http://www.markonecomputers.com/cart...65317915&ref=3

Old June 30th 03, 11:34 PM
LiveWire

If you go for a motherboard without dual channel support you
effectively cut memory bandwidth in half compared to what you could have,

Exactly.

If I were you I'd prolly go for the Asus P4C800 (or deluxe model of the
same).

If the OP is into Gigabyte boards, the GA-8IPE1000/8IPE1000 Pro are pretty
good options that won't empty the wallet at $100-125.

--
LiveWire

Old July 1st 03, 01:21 AM

"Keith Clark" wrote in message

"[NBS]Druidwitch" wrote:

This is what I anted to know - like I said it will be a first attempt

and I
am expecting to be the last attempt for some years

Optimistic, aren't we? ;-

Hell yes! lol ; I am expecting this to be fair to decent for a good 18
months to 2 years! Please, don't tell me I am wrong, I don't want to know
:-S

Here's an article that will help you understand why and how you'll get

more bang
for your buck by going with the chipset that was recommended by the

previous
poster.

The technical specs say the board can have a 800 FSB processor but is says
the boards FSB frequencies are 100 - 400 with 1Mhz increments, yet goes on
to say it works at 800Mhz??? Im lost on this one - does a processor control
the FSB or the motherboard? Either way can this board work at 800Mhz FSB
rather than just allow a 800 Processor??? God i'm dense lol.

If the board will run at 800 FSB then I think you may have changed my mind
about my board selection. The price is good, and basically whatever price
the high street charges you can knowck at least 30% off at bowlers Computer
Market in Manchester! WOOT

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-2400c-oc.html

Video card - something based on an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200/4400/4600. The

4200
based cards are the most affordable, around a hundred bucks. I'm going to

put
one in the next system I build in a couple of months.

What about the FX5900 - I have nothing but excellent reviews on this card -
saying it is pretty much the best you are going to get at the moment - I am
going to get the card last of all to allow for some price drops, with it
being the most expensive component and all at around £400 :-S

Memory - two sticks of dual-channel PC3700 DDR from OCZ or Corsair.

Now memory has been a bit confuddling for me so far - all machines I have
had to date have been SDRAM PC133 but everyone including the cat next door
has told me to go with DDR. The specs for the board in question state that
Dual Channel DDR is useable ( the ASUS board ) yet when I look on dabs some
fo the sticks are reffered to 512mb 400 and some with the four digit numbers
like yours. What are the differences - are the four digit variety dual
channel or does the number itself define this. Is dual channel PC3700 the
fastest you can get? As you may have figured I am going all out at making
3dMark03 and PCMark02 spit it's dummy out when I submit some results lol !!!
-Keith

Old July 1st 03, 01:25 AM

"Frode" wrote in message

[NBS]Druidwitch wrote:
This is what I anted to know - like I said it will be a first attempt

and
I am expecting to be the last attempt for some years so I want to make
sure I get it all right - can you explain why the different chipsets

make
a difference. I already have the processor so I cant change that really
now but I havent got the motherboard so I still have the option to
change,. What do people recommend for the card, memory and processor

that
will be put on it.

You'll want a chipset that can handle dual channel memory, like the
got. If you go for a motherboard without dual channel support you
effectively cut memory bandwidth in half compared to what you could have,
as far as I've understood it. Another issue with older chipsets is a lack
of hyperthreading support, I believe. Also a major feature of the CPU.

If I were you I'd prolly go for the Asus P4C800 (or deluxe model of the
same). I was going to buy it but it wasn't in stock and I was in a hurry

so
ended up with an Intel board with the same chipset this time around. The
Asus board has more features and is overclockable though, thus my
preference for it. I've had tons of Asus boards through the years and not

single one has ever failed on me nor lacked in stability nor features.

For memory you'll want DDR 400MHz CL2 or at most 2.5. Stay clear of CL3.
And you'll want two identical ones for dual channel to work.

Again, as I said to Keith, my level of knowledge on DDR is none existent for
all intents and purpopses. What is the difference between dual channel
pc3700 and CL2 400mhz ( my word SDRAM was so much simpler lol )

Cheers

daniel

Old July 1st 03, 07:35 AM
Frode