FX5800 Ultra

Old June 27th 03, 02:02 PM
Scott

Default FX5800 Ultra

All 5800's were built by Nvidia (as well as all 5900's). I think you =
should have taken a pass on the 5800 because it was basically a mistake =
to ever release it. Even Nvidia jokes about the 5800 and admits its not =
a good card. Return it and get the 5900 before its too late.

Scott
"Carchadon" wrote in message =
Just installed my new card today - awesome - sound isnt too bad (I =

dont have
the PC right next to my desk) - I don't care what people tell me it's =

great card - all my game sin max-max-max detail/quality - 8x Ansi and =

4x
AA - Texture sharpening etc. smooooooth.
Was waituing for a 5900 Ultra but this one was going for =A3200 and is =

one
built by nVidia (not a third party supplier so guess it may have been =

reference board) - will try overclokcing later but from what I have =

read
dont hold out much hope - especially as it has thatdaft auto-step down =

on
the clock speeds when it reaches a certain temp......
=20

Old June 27th 03, 05:19 PM
Steve Simpson

I think you should have taken a pass on the 5800 because it was basically a mistake to ever

release it.
Even Nvidia jokes about the 5800 and admits its not a good card. Return it and get the 5900

before its too late.

Nvidia's CEO said it was 'not successful'. Please provide a link to Nvidia 'joking' about it
being a 'bad card'.

The chip was 'released' as a Quadro for professional use before the 'dustbuster' debacle on the
consumer cards ever surfaced.

The 5900 is the same chip with a wider memory interface and an improved FPU.

If the 5800 is available and significantly less expensive that the 5900 it makes perfect sense
to buy one.

Old June 27th 03, 10:08 PM
Carchadon

I think you should have taken a pass on the 5800 because it was
basically a mistake to ever
release it.
Even Nvidia jokes about the 5800 and admits its not a good card.

Return it and get the 5900
before its too late.

400 bucks on a 5900 ultra that isnt out or 200 bucks for a 5800 Ultra? - All
my games ru VERY well and this card has give me a bigger performance boost
than I could have hoped for....

Old June 27th 03, 10:20 PM
Courseyauto

400 bucks on a 5900 ultra that isnt out or 200 bucks for a 5800 Ultra? - All
my games ru VERY well and this card has give me a bigger performance boost
than I could have hoped for....

The non ultra 5900 is $425 the 5900 Ultra is more like $500.
Old June 27th 03, 10:43 PM
b00gjuice

I think you should have taken a pass on the 5800 because it was
basically a mistake to ever
release it.

I disagree, I have the 5800 Ultra and it is a great card, yes the fan is
loud but if you do some creative placement of your PC it isn't so bad. It
wasn't that long ago; if you where an overclocker, that your PC was that
loud anyway. Plus, Nvidia has great drivers and you don't have to worry if a
game more than a year old, or maybe wasn't that popular will run well or
not, (unlike ATI).

I think it would have been successful at retail but Nvidia got spooked cause
all the fan sites that tested with the case covers off trashed it for the
noise. Anyone that can pick up a 5800 Ultra or even a 5800 for a smokin
price (much cheaper than a 5900) will be very happy. So if stores start
selling 5800's for a loss just to get rid of them then this may be an
unforseen opportunity for lots of Nvidia fans.

Old June 28th 03, 12:58 AM
Carchadon

Agreed. - Now playing highest level intellisample - 6x AA and maximum aniso
with texture shrpening and no lag at all on UT2003, RTCW, UT, FS2002 etc etc
with all games maxed out - for me (from a GeForce3) this is amazing for a
200 bucks card.......

Old June 28th 03, 01:43 AM
Scott

Nvidia made the chip and PCB, then ships it to vendors to be re-branded. =
They can then apply their own heat-sink and fan. I realize this was =
not past practice, but for the FX they adopted this policy to insure =
quality control.

Scott

Gainward makes their own 5900 cards.

Old June 28th 03, 01:48 AM
Scott

Nvidia produced a Video joking about the FX 5800 Ultra. Its actually =
pretty funny, and very honest on their part. I don't have a link, but =
its out there. It might be found here somewhere. =
http://www.nvnews.net/

The 5800 is less expensive indeed, but has problems with heat. So much =
so that they need to underclock it during 2D applications. No it does =
not make perfect sense to buy one, in fact, it makes no sense to buy one =
at all.

Scott

Old June 28th 03, 02:00 AM
Steve Simpson

Nvidia made the chip and PCB, then ships it to vendors to be re-branded. They can then apply
their own heat-sink and fan. I realize this was not past practice, but for the FX they adopted
this policy to insure quality control.

Nvidia does not 'make' anything. They single sourced the board because it is complicated and
they wanted to assure QC. This did not go over well at all with the brand board makers.

The 5900 board are being made by the various manuf themselves as evidenced by the different
board colors and component placement.

GA-K8NS Ultra 939 Dual Channel Memory Unusable Ray Letulle Gigabyte Motherboards 5 December 14th 04 07:18 PM
Ultra DMA Ken Homebuilt PC's 28 November 14th 04 02:54 AM
Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRW media? Dave Cohen Cdr 1 April 9th 04 10:30 PM
ATI 9600 Pro V's Geforce FX5600 (non ultra) Trevor Marsh Ati Videocards 3 September 24th 03 09:32 AM
Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra Tom Sadler Nvidia Videocards 4 June 26th 03 08:04 AM