PCI-X video cards?

Old June 28th 03, 05:41 AM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:33:35 GMT
"Jared Richardson" wrote:

I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically
fit in the slot.

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

Forgot to mention, if it's not too late you might want to consider
exchanging the Tyan board for an MSI that has two conventional PCI
slots.

"yeeyoh" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far.
Huge
difference.
I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to
buy or
order in the states.

"First of One" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI
cards. Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?

Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can
always plop down the cash for a Creative Extigy...

--
First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply

"Jared Richardson" wrote in message
. com...
Hi all,

I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't
do

quite
enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible,
so I

find
myself running w/the onboard video groan

Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable
price?

can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a
nice
affordable
GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and
sound...

Help? tia.

Jared

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 28th 03, 01:50 PM
Jared Richardson

I play but I'm not a hard core gamer... a little UT, some 2003, etc is
enough for me. Getting to GF4 gets me far enough to play decently w/o
spending too much $$$

"Shaun" wrote in message
As far as a PCI video card goes, why would ever want to go for a GF4 MX.
There are Radeon 9000 PCI, and also now Geforce FX 5200 PCI cards. If you
ever go that route that is.

"Jared Richardson" wrote in message
om...
I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically fit

in
the slot.

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

Old June 28th 03, 06:24 PM
Jared Richardson

Okay, I'm slow but I learn!

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...fer=pricewatch

A dual head GeForce FX 5200 w/128 megs of memory for $104...

Thanks!

"Shaun" wrote in message
As far as a PCI video card goes, why would ever want to go for a GF4 MX.
There are Radeon 9000 PCI, and also now Geforce FX 5200 PCI cards. If you
ever go that route that is.

"Jared Richardson" wrote in message
om...
I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically fit

in
the slot.

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.