BIOS Flash problems

Old May 18th 04, 05:50 PM
Bradley Betz

Default BIOS Flash problems

I went to the TYAN website and got what I think are the correct files to
flash my bios (2390w108.bin, and flashv73.exe).
The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk in, it
says there's an "I/O error".
How do I make a bootable disk?
What I was doing was formatting the disk in the floppy drive, choosing the
"Create an MS-DOS startup disk" option.
What Gives? Does it have something to do with running XP?
Here's my info:

BIOS Date: 08/03/00
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 08/03/2000-8363-686A-S2390C
OEM Sign-On: TYAN TRINITY KT V1.03a
Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h
OS: WinXP
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) 800 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 448 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
Memory Slot 03: 64 MB
Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

Also, is this a good board?

Old May 19th 04, 12:38 AM
kony

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:18 -0400, "Bradley Betz"
wrote:

[...]

Possibly you don't have a bootable HDD attached and haven't set the bios
to boot from floppy?

As for the "good board" question, Tyan makes decent enough boards though
that particular board uses the Via chipset with 686 southbridge, which has
the potential for IDE corruption or issues with some sound cards,
particularly Creative Labs Soundblaster Live, and/or poor performance with
any PCI-intensive cards, activities, like running a RAID controller or
Gigabit NIC, etc. Best solution is to beware of Soundblaster issue, and
be sure to use fairly recent Via 4in1 driver. If you HDD storage (or
optical drive burning) includes use a large, dozens of MB filesizes you
might want to run CRC checks on the files to be sure they're not being
corrupted. Updating the BIOS is also a good idea, but since that's
exactly the goal it needs no further mention.
Old May 19th 04, 01:45 AM
kony

wrote:

I went to the TYAN website and got what I think are the correct files to
flash my bios (2390w108.bin, and flashv73.exe).
The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk in, it
says there's an "I/O error".

Do it over again.

There may be a minor glitch...that's become a problem because of the
new BIOS.

Now it occurs to me, was the bios already flashed or this is the attempt
at flashing it?
Old May 19th 04, 02:01 AM
Bradley Betz

This is the attempt - the bios hasn't been flashed yet. If it was, I'd be
finished, and booting into the OS.

Old May 19th 04, 06:06 PM
Bubba

Bradley Betz's log on stardate 18 svi 2004

The problem now is that I'm having trouble with a bootable disk.
I thought I made one correctly, but when I try to boot with the disk
in, it says there's an "I/O error".
How do I make a bootable disk?

Properly installed OS? Lousy cabel?

--
If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in